Press_Release

11th Annual MY HERO International Film Festival Screens Work From Local Activists, Students & Filmmakers

Contact: Wendy Milette  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MY HERO International Film Fest Dir.
[email protected]

11TH ANNUAL MY HERO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL SCREENS WORK FROM LOCAL ACTIVISTS, STUDENTS & FILMMAKERS

SANTA MONICA, CA - 11/25/15 - The MY HERO Project screened select short winning films from around the world at the Ann & Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica on Friday November 20th.  Included in this celebration of heroism was the film "Mr. Santa Monica" by Mark Lawson Shepard, featuring Nat Trives, community activist and former Mayor of Santa Monica. 

After the film screened Mr. Trives answered questions from the audience, including one by a student filmmaker from the Righteous Conversations Project. Nate shared a personal story that demonstrated his ability to overcome racism at a young age and the empowerment of being an activist in your own community no matter how small.

Numerous films were screened from the Righteous Conversations Project, a local student organization that brings together Holocaust survivors and teens to create media for social change.   Their films are expressionistic, thoughtful animations which  address topical issues  that teens growing up today are faced with,  such as tolerance and understanding.  After the screenings of their films,  many of the student filmmakers were invited on stage for a Q & A. 
Joel Barish - Filmmaker and President of DeafNation
Another community leader who was highlighted in the program was Joel Barish, whose film "We Are Deaf"  contains a profound message delivered by the global deaf community.  Barish, the co-founder of DeafNation (deafnation.com) was present at the event and participated in the Q & A.  The audience was wowed by his global reach.  Sign language interpreters volunteered for the screenings as well as the Q &A's, courtesy of the Deaf Studies Department of CSU Northridge.  

To view all the winning films visit: myhero.com/winners

The mission of The MY HERO Project is to use media, art and technology to celebrate the best of humanity. 
MY HERO is a 501c3 organization.  All donations are tax deductible.  Support The MYHERO Project.