Aaliyah Dana Haughton

by Natasha from Commerce City

My defination of a hero is someone who is nice to everyone. They also have support from their family and friends to do the thing they love the most. They have been through a lot of their years and never gave up on their dreams. To me this person is Aaliyah Dana Haughton. Aaliyah is kind and expressed it through her music.

Aaliyah Dana Haughton was born January 16, 1979 in Brooklyn, New York. AAfter she was born her parents later moved with her to Detroit, Michigan. At the age of eleven she made her first appearance on Star Search, the television program that found young talented people. Later that year she did a duet with Gladys Knight. At the age fifteen she made it on to the charts with her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing But a Number, produced by R&B singer R.Kelly. The album went platinum quickly, with the help of her two hit songs "Back and Forth" and "At Your Best(You Are Love)" Later that year rumors started that 27-year-old R.Kelly and 15 year old Aaliyah were married. Aaliyah denied the marriage and it was reportedly annulled. In 1997 Aaliyah graduated from Detroit High School for the Fine and Performing Arts. A year before her graduation she released her second album, One In A Million, Produced by pop producer Timbaland and Missy Eliot. The album sold two million copies and gave her the confidence to go on with her career. In 1997 she gained more attention with her son "Journey to the Past" was recorded for the theme song to the Disney movie Anastasia. She performed the song at the 1998 Oscar Awards.