Amy Biehl

by Sonia from San Diego

(https://www.blackfilm.com/read/2016/03/tyler-perry- ())
https://www.blackfilm.com/read/2016/03/tyler-perry- ()

"A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown" - Tom Hanks.  Biehl entered South Africa not knowing how intense the situation was at the time. Starting in the late 1940s, South Africa experienced apartheid, a time period where people were segregated based on their race. This continued into her lifetime until the 1990s. She always felt that everyone should be treated fairly and wanted to be part of the movement for South African equality. As a fighter, Biehl always wanted everyone to enjoy the same rights. Amy Biehl is a hero to people all over the world because of her desire to fight for social justice and her selflessness.

123708Amy BiehlAmy Biehl Foundation (www.amybiehl.org)Amy Biehl, having grown up in America, understood the benefits and necessities of equality which led her to combat segregation. She was born on April 26, 1967 in Santa Monica, California. She graduated from Stanford University in the year of 1989, a few years before she went to Cape Town. Being selfless and non-prejudice, Biehl "...appreciated the politics and culture of races other than her own" ("Amy Biehl"). She was given a scholarship to Cape Town in 1992 which was the perfect opportunity for her to follow her noble aspiration.  "Amy Biehl believed in human rights and human dignity. She also believed in a rigorous education. Armed with knowledge and critical thinking skills she pursued her goal of 'a better world for all'" ("The Amy Biehl Foundation"). Amy Biehl wanted to use her education to create a better world for everyone around her. She wanted to live in a world without apartheid and be the reason South Africa got to that milestone.

Biehl is a hero because she fought for many people and for many rights all for social justice. Bringing social justice about is very difficult because it is a broad subject. Social justice encapsulates fighting for civil rights, equality, and fairness. Before she took on apartheid, "Amy. had spent nearly a year researching the rights and roles of disadvantaged women and children of color in this transitioning new democracy" (Leun 5). She cared about all races and wanted to acquire knowledge about the various cultures around the world. This "new democracy" implemented some of the key research Biehl did which is voting rights. Voting rights were not given to South Africans as they were never given a choice on their leader or on the laws created. This is an example of a social justice taken away from the citizens during apartheid. By fighting to give South Africans their voting rights, she would not only be fighting for social justice but would also be combating apartheid indirectly.  "South Africa was less than one year away from its first democratic election, and Biehl was there to witness, and in her small way to assist..." (Bharath). Many individuals stood by and let unjust things happen to innocent people. However, it was in Biehl's mindset to put an end to the division of people in South Africa. Her determination is the reason why a country, once filled with hatred, is now thriving with unity. Amy Biehl was a person adamant about social justice for all. She dedicated her life to trying to make things better in South Africa. This makes her heroic because she wanted to do anything she could to help a country in need.

(https://library.flawlesslogic.com/biehl.htm ())
Amy Biehl Foundation (www.amybiehl.org)

Biehl sacrificed herself in order to make others' lives better. It takes a strong and powerful person to present themselves in a country during a time period of such violence. "No one would have been more compassionate and urging forgiveness of a violent black South African mob more than the young American white woman whom it stabbed to death" ("Amy Biehl").  Biehl's brutal death cemented her in history as an advocate for equality. Sadly, she had to suffer such an unmerciful death, but without this occurrence South Africa might have never gotten through this horrible time-period. "At the time, with South Africa on the brink of a race war, Amy's death was a turning point" ("Amy's Story"). Her death signified a "turning point" because without this tragic event, apartheid and racism in South Africa could have escalated even more or have taken longer to heal. Altruistic people, like Amy Biehl, are needed in this world because they want to make a difference in other people's lives, rather than just their own. Biehl lost her life for a great cause. In fact: "[in] the case of Amy and her family, a tragedy was transformed into a force of goodness and philanthropy" ("The Amy Biehl Foundation"). This foundation runs on the fact that Amy tried her hardest to fight for equality for all no matter the color of one's skin. They encourage thousands of kids and help them to be the best they can be. She is an inspiration to all to fight for what they believe is right no matter the consequences.

Biehl discovered that it is more satisfying to help others rather than just herself. It was fighting for others that took 26-year-old Biehl's life away. Although she suffered a terrible death, her legacy and story is well known and helped many people all over the world. She is still inspiring to many South Africans because she proved to them that anyone is worth fighting for and that violence can only come to an end if someone speaks up. Amy Biehl was and will always be inspiring to many out there because she wanted to have equality in such a segregated country. I first learned about her from my grandfather, who grew up in South Africa. He lived during the apartheid and though he wasn't African, he experienced the same discrimination based on the color of his skin. He would talk about how hard it was to go anywhere and how he was only allowed to use or go in certain buildings. Biehl helped to end the cycle of putting people down and insulting people for their differences. Ever since learning about her determination and bravery, I have been inspired to try and do the same. Biehl was selfless in her actions and encourages me to stand up for what I believe in. Just like her, I would like to live in a world in which everyone gets along. I will always remember Biehl as a hero because of her willingness to fight for such a crucial cause and the sacrifices she made for others.

"A Hero Is Somebody Who Voluntarily Walks into the Unknown." - Tom Hanks." World War I. 11 July 2014. Web. 02 Feb. 2017.

"Amy Biehl." Newsmakers, Gale, 1994. Student Resources in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1618000074/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=d27df49d. Accessed 24 Jan. 2017.

Bharath, Deepa. "Telling Amy Biehl's story nearly 23 years after her death." Orange County Register [Santa Ana, CA], 2 May 2016. Student Resources in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A451137040/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=b5b33bce. Accessed 24 Jan. 2017.

Leun, Justine Van Der. We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation. New York: Spiegel & Grau, 2016. Print.

Staff, CBSNews.com Staff CBSNews.com. "Amy's Story." CBS News. CBS Interactive, 29 Feb. 2000. Web. 24 Jan. 2017.

"The Amy Biehl Foundation, Perpetuating Amy's Work in South Africa." The Amy Biehl Foundation, Perpetuating Amy's Work in South Africa. Web. 24 Jan. 2017.

The Amy Biehl Foundation - in South Africa
Amy Biehl High School
CBS News - featuring Amy's story