Amelia Earhart

by Ida from Paradise Valley

Amelia Earhart (http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/aboutus/wonder_of_flight/timeline.html)

I think a hero is someone who is willing to do things that most people can only dream of doing. Someone who is strong, brave, and committed in what they do. Not just anyone can be a hero. A hero should be someone who has helped and taught the world that anything is possible.

Amelia Earhart was born in Atchison, Kansas, on July 24, 1897. Amelia had a little sister, Muriel who was three years younger. She grew up with a great imagination and a big heart. Amelia's favorite thing to do was to get in her blue-flannel gym suit with baggy bloomers and explore areas and ride her bike. All the things she did in her childhood really helped her in the future. She lived with her mother and father, Amy and Edwin Earhart. Amelia's mother felt that her girls should be free in the fresh air while other mothers kept their girls inside playing with dolls. This allowed Amelia and Muriel to live a very outdoor life.

Amelia Earhart was the first woman pilot to fly across the Atlantic Ocean in the plane called “Friendship”. She took her first solo flight on June 18, 1928 around LA. The saddest part of her adventures was her disappearance on and around the world flight. No one knows how or why she crashed and her wreckage was never found. It still remains a mystery that took place in 1937. Amelia was gone.

Amelia Earhart is my hero because she showed that women can do things the same as men, and that you should always be brave and believe that anything can happen.