Amelia Mary Earhart

by Reica from San Diego

This is a portrait of Earhart with her gear. (www.history.com ())

Setting a goal helps lead people to success in life. For Amelia Earhart, setting a goal and completing each task led her to fame and changed society for women. Amelia Earhart is a well-known American female pilot who is known for her unfinished journey around the world. She became the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean and won awards. In her last journey, she disappeared during her flight. Many years later, her body and the plane have not been found, but evidence are found near Howland Island. Earhart started learning how to fly after earning fame from being a passenger and never gave up until she got what she wanted. Amelia challenged herself to a daring journey and flew around the world, though she never got to finish it. Amelia Earhart defines the true meaning of a hero because of her determination to complete a goal to the end  and courage to succeed challenging activities when she put her mind to it.

This is a picture of Earhart with her plane. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/amelia-earhart/ ())

Once Amelia Earhart set her mind to something, she never gave up and gave her best to complete it, making her a determined woman. After Earhart gained fame from becoming one of the first female passengers, she became interested in airplanes and "...decided that she was going to take flying lessons immediately. She hired Neta Snook, the first woman instructor to graduate from the Curtiss School of Aviation, to teach her. She paid for the first lessons by driving a sand and gravel truck. After only 2½ hours of instruction, she decided that she wanted to buy her own plane. She bought a small experimental plane that cost $2,000 with money advanced by her mother and took a job at a local telephone company sorting mail to help pay for it" ("Amelia Earhart"). Earhart strongly became interested in flying that she gave her everything to be able to fly a plane. She earned money so she can keep her lessons going, and never gave up to get her goal. For Amelia, giving up and not reaching her goal is being a failure and will not succeed in life. After flying for a few years and earning awards, Amelia took up an opportunity: "In 1937, after years of being in demand on the lecture circuit, Amelia felt that it was time for another extraordinary feat, so she chose to fly around the world at its longest point, the equator, a trip of 29,000 miles (46,661 km)" ("Amelia Mary Earhart." Science). Setting a long term goal shows how determined Earhart can be. She took this commitment and kept going, not giving up on obstacles. Although she lost her life by this trip, she kept her focus and tried to complete this goal. Amelia Earhart's determination led her to the successful life she had and never losing hope and believing in herself.

This is another picture of Earhart with her plane. (https://www.emaze.com/@AFWOOWOR/Amelia-Earhart ())

Amelia Earhart took every daring challenges, flew to various places, and doing activities a "socially standard" woman wouldn't do, making her a courageous person. After learning how to fly, Earhart took risks and challenged herself to different trips: "Resenting reports that she was largely a puppet figure created by her publicist husband and something less than a competent aviator, she piloted a tiny, single-engine Lockheed Electra from Newfoundland to Ireland to become--on May 20-21, 1932, and five years after Lindbergh--the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic" ("Amelia Mary Earhart"). Amelia was brave enough to challenge herself to something a woman never done and wouldn't do for another few years. By completing this trip, she gained more fame and respect for doing something outside of women's standards. Once Earhart flew a couple of years, she had enough courage to challenge herself to a dangerous trip, meaning  she would fly around the world: "Earhart flew to Hawaii in March 1937, with veteran stunt pilot Paul Mantz, to begin a round-the-world flight from west to east. Unfortunately, she lost control of the Lockheed Electra on takeoff in Honolulu and had to send the aircraft back to the factory for repairs. The first day of June 1937 found her in Miami departing for an east-to-west world flight with Fred Noonan as navigator" (Cochrane). By attempting this risky voyage, Earhart proved women's strength in everything they do. Earhart was brave enough to do the impossible although she disappeared in the middle of the ocean from this trip. This shows how confident Amelia was and her faith in changing women's lives. Amelia Earhart's courage proved how strong women can be and a woman can do tasks that men can.

This is Earhart before she leaves for a voyage. (http://949whom.com/amelia-earhart-celebration-in-a ())

Completing a long term goal and succeeding challenging activities proved how Amelia Earhart is a hero. Amelia Earhart's words and action inspired other women to step up and break social norms for women. "In 1997 another female pilot, Linda Finch, recreated Earhart's final flight in an around the world tribute entitled "World Flight 97." The event took place on what would have been Earhart's 100th birthday. Finch successfully completed her voyage, the identical route that Earhart would have flown, around the world" ("Amelia Mary Earhart"). After Earhart attempted the impossible, many women were inspired by her courage,  succeeding daring goals and determination, never giving up, sparking a fire within them to step up. Linda Finch, inspired by Earhart, was one of the women to step up and finished Amelia's voyage. This shows how Earhart inspired women, like Finch, to be more courageous and break their social norms. Amelia, like other famous people, taught people to never give up and work hard to reach your goal, no matter how impossible it seems. A true hero is to set a challenging goal, meaning to have courage and determination, and face it no matter what hardship comes their way.

"Amelia Earhart." Explorers & Discoverers of the World, Gale, 1993. Biography in Context,        

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1614000106/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=2bb68aa4. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.

"Amelia Mary Earhart." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Student Resources in

Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631001956/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=52270d3b.

Accessed 1 May 2017.

"Amelia Mary Earhart." Science and Its Times, edited by Neil Schlager and Josh Lauer, vol. 6,

Gale, 2000. Student Resources in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2643412369/SUIC?u=powa9245&xid=284256fb.

Accessed 2 May 2017.

Cochrane, Dorothy S. "Amelia Mary Earhart,"American National Biography, EBSCO, 2010,

Biography Reference Center,

http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=35195593&site=brc-li

ve. Accessed 28 Apr. 2017

The Official Amelia Earhart Website - This is the official website for Amelia Earhart.
Facts About Amelia Earhart - Find facts about Amelia Earhart, like her achievments.
The Disappearance of Amelia Earhart - Find information about the disappearance of Amelia Earhart.