Amelia Earhart

by Caitlin from Midlothian

Amelia in a plane (http://www.scholastic.com/content/images/articles/ (Scholastic))

My hero is Amelia Earhart, the first woman aviator to try and fly around the world. She was born on July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas. There have been many theories on how she died, but she mysteriously disappeared while she was traveling the globe. She was officially declared dead in 1939, after two years of being missing. Her family included her mother, Amy Otis, and her alcoholic father, Edwin Earhart. She also had a sister named Muriel, which she would often visit her grandmother's house with. They would always explore the neighborhood, climbing trees, hunting for rats, and taking rides on Amelia's sled. She attended several different schools, and excelled in science and sports. In 1919, after volunteering as a nurse's aid for the Red Cross, she enrolled in medical studies at the Columbia University. She married George P. Putnam in 1931 and had no kids.

Amelia Earhart is a hero because she was the first woman pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic and also attempted to circle the world around the equator. She inspired many female pilots around the world to follow their dreams and to not be afraid to try new things, and she showed the world that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind on it. Today, lasting effects on the world are that people are that many people are still searching for her body, or how she died. Many people around the world have also been inspired by her work, and they became pilots as well. If she hadn't followed her dreams, then the world would be a much more boring place. Many people wouldn't have thought that they could become what they wanted, and would not have been as inspired to do many jobs.

I was drawn to Amelia because I liked how confident she was, and she was very determined to set an example for the world. I chose her over everyone else because she inspired me, too. I loved her courage and bravery to try new things and experience the world in a way no one else had. I am uncertain whether she saved any lives, but she would definitely make a good role model for younger kids because she teaches them that anything is possible. She had a good character and is a great role model. If I had to sum her up in a single word, I would say brave because she achieved the impossible even though many people told her she couldn't. She was brave enough to try something new.

Biography - Has lots of biographies on many important people