Andeisha Farid

by Emma from Cincinnati

Andeisha Farid (afghanwomenleadersconnect.org)

Andeisha Farid is a 28 year old woman who created AFCECO. That is an organization that helps underprivileged Afghanistan children. AFCECO stands for Afghan Child Education and Care Organization. Andeisha is a hero because she helps children without families, homes, health, or education find hope for their future.

She was a refugee born in Afghanistan in 1983. Her and her family needed to leave quickly because her city was being attacked by Soviet air strikes. Andeisha was forced to go to a refugee camp in Iran. The children there were treated harshly with no health clinic, school, or fresh drinking water. Her parents finally sent her to a refugee camp in Pakistan, where she could attend school. She studied in the camp for six years, but wanted to do more. She started tutoring women and children in the camp. Little did she know, that was the start of a better future for child refugees.

AFCECO started educating children and providing better homes in 2001, when Andeisha decided to help kids in Afghanistan and Pakistan. She wanted their childhood to be the best it could be. In a CNN interview she said "I wanted to empower them with a sense of security, with education and eventually independence." Andeisha Farid is a hero because she goes the extra mile to make a big difference in these kids lives. She has worked hard to grow her charity with only the donations people give to help. Andeisha wants to help as many kids as possible.

Our definition of a hero is "a person of any age who goes the extra mile to make a big difference in someone's life, without being asked, and without expecting anything in return". This describes Andeisha Farid, because she went out of her way to help children in Afghanistan and Pakistan have a better life. She helped them to get a better education, and home. After she accomplished her goals, she didn't ask for anything in return. Her organization is still growing, and will help many more kids to come.

Works Cited:
"Andeisha Farid Photos: Fortune Most Powerful Women Summit - Day 1." Zimbio. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. Ebenezer. "Andeisha Farid, Social Entrepreneur and Angel of Hope for Afghan Children." WowElle. N.p., 17 Sept. 2010. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. "Good People Good Work Seeding Hope: Andeisha Farid and the Afghan Child Education and Care Organization." Good People Good Work Seeding Hope: Andeisha Farid and the Afghan Child Education and Care Organization. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. Namdar, Asieh. "Former Child Refugee Becomes Hero to Hundreds of Orphans." CNN. Cable News Network, 11 July 2011. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. N.p., n.d. Web.

Andeisha Farid - Andeisha Farid by Carol from Hamden, CT
Andeisha Farid - Vital Voices