Anne Frank

by Alexandra from San Diego

Anne Frank (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122512052333986258/  ())
Anne Frank (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/122512052333986258/ ())

"I don't want to have lived in vain like most people. I want to be useful or bring enjoyment to all people, even those I've never met. I want to go on living even after my death!" written by Anne Frank. She is an inspiration to me and many others and her stories are memorable. Anne Frank was born in Frankfurt, Germany on June 12 of 1929. She was a writer with extreme talent, writing constantly in order to express her emotions.  She got her diary on her thirteenth birthday as a present from her parents. Since day one, she spilled her thoughts and feelings into her diary. She never knew she would need her diary as much as she would as when she had to go into hiding after the Nazi's invasion. Anne Frank's life and personality is what makes her a hero to me. She posses hopefulness and bravery throughout one of the most dreadful times in history.

Anne Frank remained hopeful even when she had her freedom taken away and had to go into hiding. She believed she was going to go make it out alive. Unfortunately, that did not happen. For example, in an article about Anne Frank, it said, "Anne Frank's diary endures, not only because of the remarkable events she described, but due to her extraordinary gifts as a storyteller and her indefatigable spirit through even the most horrific of circumstances. For all its passages of despair, Frank's diary is essentially a story of faith, hope and love in the face of hate" (Anne Frank. biography.com). Anne Frank faced challenges, but did not let them get in the way of her bubbly personality and hopeful spirit. She would say she was going to make it out alive. Her hopefulness helped her along her journey through the concentration camp, but sadly ended there. She stayed alive longer than lots of people because she stayed true to herself and did not change. Staying in the same place for two years long, not able to move, not able to speak must be hard but being hopeful can help. She was not just hopeful of surviving this awful period in time, but also with things that were different. For example: "Every fifteen minutes, throughout the day and night, the carillon with its thirty-seven bells played a melody. Anne's parents and Margot could not get used to the sound, but Anne felt differently. 'I loved it from the start,' she said, 'and especially in the night it's like a faithful friend'" (Parks). Even though her family was losing hope, she stayed true to herself and was grateful for everything. She realized that people were dying, cold, thirsty, and hungry while she was in a warm attic with food and water. Even though it was not perfect, it was something. She liked the company and knowing there is more than just death and beatings outside her windows, but life and potential happiness. Anne Frank was a hopeful person about life. Even though she is gone, her inspirational story is not.

Holocaust Trains (http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org/nazioccupa ())

Anne Frank was not just hopeful, but also brave. Her bravery was shown in her beautiful and touching story. She was brave because she continued to survive even though she had to live in a tiny attic with eight people with no movement or talking. For example, "When the Nazis occupied Holland in May of 1940, they began to institute anti-Jewish regulations, which forced Frank to leave her school and to attend a Jewish secondary school. Jews were forced to wear the yellow Jewish Star of David, and deportation of Jews from Holland to the Auschwitz extermination camp commenced. Margot received an order to report for deportation in early July of 1942. Otto, who had prepared for this eventuality by setting up a hiding place for his family, decided that the time had come" (Anne Frank Encyclopedia of world Biography). Anne Frank lost her freedom because of her religious beliefs. Jews had certain hours they were allowed to roam the streets. They had to stop attending school. Anne Frank showed true bravery through a horrific time in history by hiding from people who did not accept her the way she was. She could not be proud of who she was. Bravery was also proven when this article states: "The journey lasted for three days and two nights. When the train finally screeched to a halt, the passengers had no idea what day it was or where they were; all sense of time and distance had been lost on the dreadful train ride. The doors of the cattle cars were slammed open, and the disoriented passengers were blinded by glaring search-lighs. Nazi guards armed with machine guns were shouting, ordering everyone to move, to move faster, shoving them along if they were dragging behind" (Parks). Anne was brave to go on a train, not knowing where she was going. She had no clue that she was on a train that will take her to a camp that would work her so hard until her death. They worked her with strenuous labor all day, every day. She had so much bravery to keep fighting to stay alive. Anne Frank was brave to live on through the holocaust for so long. She is an inspiration to me because bravery is a characteristic that means the most to me.

Bergen-Belsen: Where Anne Frank Died (https://www.mvmnt.it/wp-content/gallery/bergen-bel ())

Anne Frank is an inspiration and hero to me because of her hopefulness and bravery through a very difficult time. 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust. Anne Frank was just one person out of 6 million. Her story is only one story out of thousands out there. Her one story, however, impacted the entire world. She was brave and stayed strong until her death. She tried to survive, but could not through those terrible conditions. She not only showed bravery and hopefulness, but courage and independence. She stayed true to her family and herself, and through her gifted writing, we have a chance to experience life in her shoes. Every second leading up to her death, she was hopeful and brave. She unfortunately died in one of the worst places possible, a concentration camp, of typhus, an illness that is transmitted through fleas, mites, lice and ticks, along side of her sister. Sadly she died too soon, but with her powerful, inspirational, and life changing diary, she was able to live on and continue to inspire every person who reads it. One story, one life.

"Anne Frank." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 28 Apr. 2017, www.biography.com/people/anne-frank-9300892. Accessed 3 May 2017.

"Anne Frank." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631002299/BIC1

?u=powa9245&xid=5d465317. Accessed 5 May 2017.

"Anne Frank." Europe Since 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of War and Reconstruction, edited by John Merriman and Jay Winter, Charles Scribner's

"Anne Frank." St. James Guide to Young Adult Writers, Gale, 1999. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1663000149/BIC1?

u=powa9245&xid=c4c049d6. Accessed 4 May 2017.

Parks, Peggy J. Anne Frank. San Diego, CA, ReferencePoint Press, 2016.

Sons, 2007. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K3447000368/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=df0c5667. Accessed 26 Apr. 2017.