Angelina Jolie

by Marisa from St. Paul

What does hero mean? Well, to me a hero is someone to look up to, someone truly amazing. I think that being a hero means making a difference in the lives of one, many and even the planet. Bettering something is cause to be celebrated as a hero in my eyes and that's exactly why I picked Angelina Jolie.

Angelina Jolie is a thirty-three year old actress/humanitarian from California. She is the UN's refugee spokesperson as of 2002. She went to Cambodia for the making of one of her films and saw the country and knew that she wanted to help. She took it upon herself to learn about the 120 countries receiving help from the UN and called Washington to see if she could help. Since then she has given MILLIONS of dollars to help and has done a great deal of humanitarian work herself.

I feel that it takes alot of courage to travel to places like Sierra Leone and Namibia like she has done. Angelina has literally walked into war-stricken areas and sat down with the people. She receives no special treatment when she does humanitarian work and even sleeps where the natives sleep. She is a truly amazing woman.

Angelina is now named as a HRC Goodwill Ambassador along with being the UN's refugee spokesperson because of her commitment to people she doesn't even know and to the world. Jolie is also an Oscar winner so she's not just talented in the sense of being a goodwill ambassador though that makes her all that much more amazing. She has also adopted three children from third world countries. Maddox 6 Cambodia, Pax 4 Vietnam, Zahara 3 Ethiopia, and she also has three of her own Shiloh, Knox and Vivienne. She is a mother of six and still has time to care for the world.

I feel that Angelina Jolie is a name that will go down in history as an amazing actress but more importantly and extraordinary humanitarian. I hope that one day I can be like her and touch the lives of so many people as she does.