Alicia Keys

by Alexandrea from Marietta

Alicia Keys ~ "Everything I do stems from something personal, not just because it will look good on paper or be a tax write-off.... These possibilities give my life meaning, and they give me something other than the red carpet to look forward to."

Alicia Angello Cook was born on January 25, 1981 New York, New York. Or as you know, Alicia Keys. Her dad's name is Craig Cook and her mom's name is Terri Augello. While she was young her parents had divorced.  Most of the time she'd stay with her mother instead of her dad. That was very hard for her, going back and forth from house to house. Her  mom wanted her to learn to play the piano so when she got a deal with Columbia Records which her mom couldn't say no to.

Alicia Keys signed with Columbia Records because they also included a baby grand piano in the contract, which was good because she taught herself the piano at the age of 16. At 17 she moved into her own apartment. In 2001 she started making her own music and she put out her CD called "Songs in a minor" which is my personal favorite, and her career finally started, which her mom and herself needed.

In 2005 she released a new book of her songs and poems. In the same year of releasing her book, Alicia Keys also helped two charities, From the Ground Up, and Keep A Child Alive, an organization that helps children living with AIDS. She told Oprah Winfrey, "Everything I do stems from something personal, not just because it will look good on paper or be a tax write-off.... These possibilities give my life meaning, and they give me something other than the red carpet to look forward to".

"In December of 2005, Alicia Keys teamed with Bono to record "Don't Give Up (Africa)"  to help Keep a Child Alive. And she visited Kenya in April of 2006 in the hopes of supporting a charity. And she did. Now this day she is planing to do big things and you will too some day. I hope she is an inspiration to you as she is to me!