Aung San Suu Kyi

by Kayla Paraoan from San Diego, California

(www.ibtimes.co.uk ())
(www.ibtimes.co.uk ())

"The only real prison is fear, and the only real freedom is freedom from fear."("A Quote by Aung San Suu Kyi."). She is one of the most empowering women in society and has been awarded numerous awards including a Nobel Peace prize in 1991. Aung San Suu Kyi was born in Burma (now known as Myanmar) and spent her early years living there and later moved to India. Her Mother was an appointed Burmese ambassador while her Father was a politician. She later studied politics and economics at Oxford University where she met her future husband, Michael Aris. Suu Kyi spent fifteen years in her first house arrest when performing a speech about a democracy in Burma, wanting the people and the government to find an agreement with each other to stop the violence between them. A hero possesses perseverance and devotion because even with words of discouragement they show persistence through the challenges and puts their full loyalty to those who seem to have lost their ways. Aung San Suu Kyi begins and ends everything with grace in a bold humble statement which makes her a real hero everyone should admire.

(www.charterforcompassion.org ())
(www.charterforcompassion.org ())

Aung San Suu Kyi persevered through the roughest times and came back even stronger to prove that nothing can bring her down. "During a political campaign in northern Myanmar in May 2003, the motorcade in which Suu Kyi was traveling was attacked by a pro-military mob. She was injured during the violent clash and placed under arrest by the military regime, which claimed that she had been taken into custody to protect her from an assassination attempt. After spending nearly four months in detention, Suu Kyi underwent major surgery for an undisclosed ailment."(Martin, Patricia). San Suu Kyi has been through the worst sufferings and perseveres through it and puts her country first before anything else. Her determination to push for fairness and equality in the government for the Burmese people leaves many in awe for voicing out her opinions. She sticks up to what she believes in even with the possibility of the government casting down on her. Having to go through house arrest multiple times without many visitors she found a way to be positive. "Among other things, Suu Kyi, 53, spent six years under house arrest in a rundown lakeside bungalow on orders of military rulers concerned about her enormous influence. More than two years of that time was spent in solitary confinement, linked to the world only via radio. Her husband and two sons, who live in England, were only rarely allowed to visit, and she sold off her furniture to buy food. Even when the house arrest was lifted, her phone was tapped, her mail was censored, and her movements were severely restricted." ("Aung San Suu Kyi"). San Suu Kyi shows devotion to her family and to her beloved country, Burma. She tries her best to persevere the loneliness in house arrest and the government tracking her every move. Throughout it all, she finds positive energy to erase all the negative emotions that might lurk in the mindset, like the government using her family against her. With these challenges Suu Kyi preserved them with a positive, nonviolent attitude, keeping her goal to help Burma and let the Burmese government know that change is near.

(www.ctvnews.ca ())
(www.ctvnews.ca ())

Through all the chaos of her political life and personal life, Suu Kyi remains devoted throughout the process of helping Burma be a democracy. "Last September, in perhaps her biggest challenge to the military junta to date, Suu Kyi and a small group of opposition politicians proclaimed all laws issued by the military null and void1990 could be installed. (The party she helped form, the National League for Democracy, won 82 percent of that vote, but the military barred it from taking office.) One diplomat in Burma, quoted in the New York Times, described the latest standoff between Suu Kyi and the government as "an approaching train wreck." ("Aung San Suu Kyi"). Her challenge was hard to fight for a fair democracy with a government who "dictates" its people. But she devotes herself in this challenge and gives it her all. She vocalizes what the people wanted to say for years because they were always afraid of the punishment they might face. Her devotion leaves Burma and its people with hope. As her mother was an appointed Burmese ambassador representative and her father founded the independence of Burma in 1948 it is only likely that Suu Kyi would follow in her parents' footsteps to be a politician. "After finishing high school, Suu Kyi attended St. Hugh's College, part of Oxford University, in England. She majored in philosophy, politics, and economics (often known as PPP). Years later she commented that "I would much prefer to have read English, Japanese or forestry, but I [studied PPP] because economics seemed to be of most use for a developing country. I would much prefer to be a writer. But once I had committed myself then I had to accept that I would end up in a political party. It is not what I wanted at all, but there cannot be any half measures."("Aung San Suu Kyi"). Once San Suu Kyi finds something she enjoys she puts her 100 percent towards it. She devotes her time and energy to fight what is right and sacrifices anything to make that happen. She was self-driven and disciplined to finish school. With this mindset her goals to help Burma can be possible. Suu Kyi's devotion has proved her country that she is determined to push a democracy in Burma. Even with many obstacles that delay her success for Burma her loyalty remains.

Perseverance and devotion are the qualities that Aung San Suu Kyi acquired and is admired for her spoken thoughts for the future of a democracy in Burma, displaying bravery throughout the journey she is still trying to accomplish. She leaves people in awe because of her strong mental mind and handling situations with peace and not violence. She looks for the best in people and searches for equality and speaks her mind with no hesitations. Because of her devotion towards Burma, Suu Kyi has gained worldwide recognition. I truly appreciate her motivation to help others before herself and that violence is not the answer. Her compassion towards others leaves many feeling hope to something that felt hopeless. Aung San Suu Kyi is a true hero that shows perseverance and devotion letting her actions speak louder than words.

Works Consulted: "A Quote by Aung San Suu Kyi." Goodreads. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2016. . Martin, Patricia. "Aung San Suu Kyi." Aung San Suu Kyi (2011): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. "Aung San Suu Kyi." Biography 2.12 (1998): 76. Biography Reference Center. Web. 29 Apr. 2016. "Aung San Suu Kyi." Aung San Suu Kyi (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 29 Apr. 2016.

Aung San Suu Kyi - MY HERO story by Susannah Abbey