Aaron Likens

by Kristofer from St. Clair

Aaron Likens
Aaron Likens

Have you ever met a famous person who has Asperger's Syndrome? I know I have. His name is Aaron Likens. As a child and into his pre-teen years Likens was a bright child with an IQ of 158. But his grades weren't very good because he missed so much school to avoid the unbearable confusion of a typical classroom. Aaron didn't like to go to school because of the screaming, the other kids' random outbursts and the unpredictability. (Fowler, 2009)

(amazon.com)
(amazon.com)

Aaron is my hero because he and I have much in common. I also have Asperger's Syndrome. Aaron likes pinball machines like me. He doesn't like drag racing. I don't either; drag racing is too noisy.

Aaron 2010 ((stlbeacon.org))
Aaron 2010 ((stlbeacon.org))

Aaron wants to educate other people so that they can understand what Asperger's Syndrome is. He has written books to help educate people. One of the books that he wrote is called, "In Their Own Words." Another book is "Finding Kansas: Living With and Decoding Asperger's Syndrome". (Likens, 2012)

Aaron has stated, "There are times when the world tries to get me to fit in, and sometimes I try, but there are other times when a social situation may be too much for me. I have had situations in the past where I have been called weird or odd for trying not to fit in. It is my dream that the world begins to not only know about us on the autism spectrum, but begins to understand us." (Likens, 2010)

Aaron Likens is a role model for people with and without autism because he's trying help everyone understand what Asperger's Syndrome is. He's trying to change people's lives for the better.

Aaron Likens: Full speed Ahead with Asperger's - newspaper article about Aaron Likens
Posts about Aaron Likens - blogs about Aaron Likens
Finding Kansas - book written by Aaron Likens