Abraham Lincoln

by Ethan from Leawood

A hero doesn't always have to be in red tights, have a blue cape, and a secret identity; there can be other heroes like Neil Armstrong to Elvis Presley. Abraham Lincoln is a hero. He is a hero because he was smart, confident, courageous, and had lots of wisdom.

Born on Sunday February 12, 1809 in a log cabin near Hodgenville Kentucky, Abraham Lincoln grew up not particularly liking hard work; he enjoyed reading books; which in the long run helped him to become the 16th president of the United States. When he was a young man, he operated a store, and was postmaster at a post office. After that, he was "elected" to be captain of a troop going to the Black Hawk War, but luckily, he didn't have to see combat. He married Mary Todd and had four children. Later after trying a couple times to become president he accomplished his goal and was then the 16th president. A little after he was inaugurated, he wrote the Emancipation Proclamation that has the famous words; "Fore score and seven years ago."

First of all, Lincoln was smart. He read books when he was a kid which probably helped him in writing the Emancipation Proclamation (One of the most famous speeches ever given). Second, he is confident. He was confident about stopping slavery in the south during the civil war. Third, he was courageous. During the Civil War, he went to Fort Stevens to see a confederate attack and was the first president to be under enemy fire. Fourth, he had wisdom. He was made fun of, but he still kept going and gained wisdom from it learning what it felt like to be hurt. Last of all, on April 14, 1865 (Good Friday) at Ford's Theatre he took a bullet in the head because he ended the Civil War and stopped slavery in the south. He gave his life for his country because he fought for equality for all men.

Abraham Lincoln was smart, courageous, confident, and had lots of wisdom; because he gave his life so slavery could stop in America.