Abraham Lincoln

by Eisha from San Diego

Abraham Lincoln  (http://www.quotery.com/ ())
Abraham Lincoln (http://www.quotery.com/ ())

Who was Abraham Lincoln, What did he do for our nation and Why is considered a hero today. yeah, everyone knows who Abraham Lincoln was but have you ever thought why is there a monument of him in Washington DC. Welll... if you don't know who Abraham Lincoln was, I will explain: he was a man who never gave up no matter how brawny things got. Lincoln was the sixteenth president of the United States. When he ran for office he never thought he would end up freeing the thousands of African slaves who weren't being treated the way they were supposed to be treated. "Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, in a log cabin on a farm in Hardin County, Kentucky. As a young child, Abraham (he never liked the nickname Abe) played in the woods. He also learned how much hard work it took to run a farm in the wilderness. As soon as he was old enough, he began to help as much as he could. He planted seeds and pulled weeds."- (Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.)

In a young age, Abraham Lincoln learned that in order to run a farm he needed to put a lot of effort and hard work into it. When he was old enough he tried to help around as much as he could.  This realization did help him in the future when was elected into office, because he knew it would be a lot of hard work to end slavery but he didn't give up and tried his very best to end slavery. A hero doesn't seek attention, they don't always set out to do great things, When Lincoln was running for the seat of the president he didn't really know what his goal was. Abraham Lincoln shows leadership and courage and that is what makes him a hero.

(http://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-events ())

Abraham Lincoln showed leadership during his time in office, from March 4th, 1861 to April 15th, 1865.  "Lincoln once called slavery a "monstrous injustice." But he was not a strict abolitionist. He wanted to sit down with slave owners and reason with them. He thought slavery should be banned in any new states that entered the Union, but he did not think Congress had the power to end slavery in states where it already existed."- (Blashfield, Jean F. "Abraham Lincoln." Abraham Lincoln (0-7565-0202-0) (2002): 6. Biography Reference Center. Web. 3 Feb. 2016.) Abraham Lincoln was against slavery. His reasoning was tht slavery brought injustice to those innocent people, who work really hard day and night for their masters. Abraham Lincoln had strong thoughts about/against slavery but he was not strict abolitionist. Lincoln had an urge to end slavery, but he didn't want to go war or so he wanted to sit down with all the slave owners and conference with them. Is slavery a good thing, is it going to give our nation a good name in the future. Lincoln requested that slavery be taboo in the new states that were building into our nation. Abe comprehended that the congress didn't have enough power to end slavery in the older states. "Abraham Lincoln "On July 16, Lincoln ordered an attack on Confederate troops in northern Virginia, near Bull Run Creek. Neither side was ready, but the Southern soldiers were more experienced. The Union troops had to turn around and go back to Washington." - (Blashfield, Jean F. "Abraham Lincoln." Abraham Lincoln (0-7565-0202-0) (2002): 6. Biography Reference Center. Web. 3 Feb. 2016.)   Lincoln led the Confederate troops into Virginia on July 16. The South and the North weren't ready but the soldiers from the south were more experienced. Because the South had more experience, the Union troops who were from the north had to go back to Washington. This shows that sitting with the slaves owners and convincing them to free all their slaves didn't work, Abraham Lincoln took the other route to free all the slaves. Abraham Lincoln was so determined to free the slaves, that is why he went to war with the north side so whatever side that won would determine whether or not slavery should be banned or continued in the future. Abraham Lincoln showed leadership throughout his terms   

Lincoln had courage throughout the good and bad times. He didn't let the bad times come in his way of doing good for others and our nation. Abraham Lincoln showed bravery while he was in office.  He knew that if he was elected as president it would tear the nation apart. "Lincoln was unpopular with Illinois voters for his strong stance against the U.S. war with Mexico. Promising not to seek reelection, he returned to Springfield in 1849. Events conspired to push him back into national politics, however: Douglas, a leading Democrat in Congress, had pushed through the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act (1854), which declared that the voters of each territory, rather than the federal government, had the right to decide whether the territory should be slave or free. On October 16, 1854, Lincoln went before a large crowd in Peoria to debate the merits of the Kansas-Nebraska Act with Douglas, denouncing slavery and its extension and calling the institution a violation of the most basic tenets of the Declaration of Independence."- (Abraham Lincoln. History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016.") Lincoln was against the U.S war that we had with Mexico because of this Lincoln became very unpopular in Illinois. He went back to Springfield in 1849, not seeking a reelection. Douglas who was running against Lincoln was from Democrat party. Douglas declared that all the voters from each territory had a choice whether or not they wanted slavery to end or continue on in the future, besides the federal government having the that right in their hands. Later on Abraham Lincoln brought up to people/voters that slavery went against our law and what is written in the Declaration of Independence. Bringing this up to all the voters during election time really helped Abe Lincoln because he brought this point up it gave people a better idea of whom was right for office and who was thinking better for our nation not just for fame, power, and money. Overall Lincoln showed courage even when times got tough.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Memorial ())

Abraham Lincoln was a great man. He is a hero, he has all the criteria that a hero has in them. Yeah, he didn't set out to do great things but he achieved what he put his mind to.    

"Abraham Lincoln." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Biography in Context. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.  

Blashfield, Jean F. "Abraham Lincoln." Abraham Lincoln (0-7565-0202-0) (2002): 6. Biography Reference Center. Web. 29 Jan. 2016

"Abraham Lincoln." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016."