Abraham Lincoln

by Anais from Amiens

whitehouse.gov ()
whitehouse.gov ()

A hero is a person who is honest, smart and generous. He acts for others and not only for himself, heroes must be convincing in their speech and also trust people to support them. I'll present you an important person of the United States of America's story, he was the 16th president of this country. Indeed, I am talking about Abraham Lincoln.

Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12th 1809 in Hardin Country in Kentucky. His father was a farmer, he had two brothers and sisters and he grew up in a modest family. A few years later, he has been studying in a law University, then he became an independent lawyer. After that he was chosen to lead the Whig Party. Moreover he was elected at the Illinois House of Representatives in the 1830's. Then at the United States House of Representatives in the 1840's. He became the first Republican president of America and he was elected two times - the first time on November 1860 and in the second time on November 1864.

During his presidential term, he led the Union during the American Civil War, between 1861 and 1865. This started when the Southern states of America formed the Confederate States of America and when they attacked the Fort Sumter on April 12th 1861. Therefore, the Northern American states supported Abraham Lincoln for the rest of his life. Thanks to him, on December 6th 1865, the 13th Amendment of the United States Constitution had been adopted. Indeed, this document was the abolition of slavery in America. Unfortunately, Abraham Lincoln had been assassinated at the theater three days after the end of the American Civil War on April 15th 1865 by John Wilkes Booth, a member of the Confederate States of America.

Abraham Lincoln was a righteous man who had no fears. All his life he had been living for the laws and for the American people, such as the abolition of slavery or also the war. That's why I think Abraham Lincoln had to be a model for everyone in the world. He inspires me because he is the symbol of hope and of the right way of life, the way which everybody must follow.