Aimee Mullins

by Justine from Redon, France

Aimee Mullins was born in 1976 in Allentown, Pennsylvania. This is an handicapped athlete, American actress and model. Aimee Mullins was born with fibular hemimelia, that is to say, without fibula. Therefore she was amputated below the knee at the age of one year. She spent her schooling at Parkland High School in Allentown, his hometown, then she studied at Georgetown University in Washington. This is where she practiced athletics at a high level alongside able-bodied athletes in the National Collegiate Athletic Association. She became the first amputee athlete to participate at the competitions in the NCAA. She also participated in the 1996 Paralympic Games in Atlanta in events of 100 meters and long jump. Through her studies at Georgetown University, she was able to benefit from a program of the Department of Defense and an internship at the Pentagon. 

In 1999, she walked for the British designer Alexander McQueen in London, with prostheses in solid beech. Subsequently, she was named among the 50 most beautiful women in the world by People magazine. In 2003, she was the star of the film by Matthew Barney entitled "Cremaster 3," presented by the Guggenheim Museum and Palm Pictures. 

In 2004, she was photographed by Nick Knight for the Pirelli calendar. In 2006, she played the role of a journalist in the Oliver Stone film "World Trade Center". She integrated some juries of festivals, the Kars Film Festival in 2008 and the Taormina Film Festival in 2009. In 2011, Named Ambassador for L'Oreal Paris. - 

She is our heroine because she has a lot of courage. She was able to cope without her legs. Portrait of a fighter "extraordinary."