Audie Leon Murphy

by Morgan from Hot Springs

Audie Leon Murphy (June 20, 1925-May 28, 1971) was an American soldier in World War II, who later became an actor, appearing in several American films. He also found success as a country music composer.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Murphy (then just 16 years old) tried to enlist in the military. The service would not accept him since he was underage. He kept on trying until they accepted him. In 27 months of combat action in World War II, Murphy became the most decorated United States combat soldier in United States military history. He received the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest award, along with 32 additional U.S. Medals.

Murphy died in a plane crash in 1971 (after he came home) and was buried with full military honors in Arlington National Cemetery. His grave site is the second most-visited grave site. Only the late U.S. President, John F. Kennedy's grave site is visited more.

I believe that Audie had a great love for his family. He enlisted in the army to protect them. He was also a caring person in my eyes. He had to be a risk taker to enlist in the army at age 16!

Audie Murphy - Wikipedia