Alfred Nobel

by Diana from San Diego

I believe that life is an extraordinary gift- a precious stone, gifted by nature.

95149Alfred NobelWikimedia Commons [Public domain]Alfred Nobel was a brilliant engineer and inventor who also wanted to improve the human condition.  Nobel gained a lot of wealth and fame from his inventions, but his inventions also resulted in destruction and death.  A hero must possess intelligence and inspiration and display those traits throughout his or her career to motivate others.  This motivation will guide others to believe in their cause.  Alfred Nobel has shown his heroic traits through  his creativity and intelligence in inventing something that affected and changed world, and continued to show his heroism by dealing with the negative effects of his work by creating the Nobel Peace Prize.

Nobel was born on October 21, 1833 in Stockholm, Sweden and died on December 10, 1896 in San Remo, Italy.  Alfred Nobel grew up with eight brothers and sisters, and became interested in engineering and inventing at an early age because his father was an engineer himself.  He was an inventor and engineer of many products, but was most famous for dynamite.  His invention of dynamite was announced on 1867 in Scotland, UK, and in 1873 the first ever manufacture of dynamite and nitroglycerin began.  "Together with his father he performed experiments to develop nitroglycerine as a commercially and technically useful explosive"("Alfred Nobel - His Life and Work.").  Dynamite revolutionized society positively and negatively.  " ...Nobel set out to develop a safer explosive. In 1867, he patented a mixture of nitroglycerin and an absorbent substance, producing what he named 'Dynamite'"(biography.com).  It benefitted our society because it was a safer alternative than what was previously used, gun powder.   Alfred Nobel's invention benefitted many different fields, companies and organizations, "Most of his nitroglycerin products were put to use in fields like mining and communications (though ballistite was used in firearms)" (Kettler).  Alfred Nobel's invention of nitroglycerin also contributed other beneficial things for society, including constructions and demolition, and is in fact still used in these areas today.

However,  despite Alfred Nobel's intention to use his invention to help society, dynamite was also used for many negative and destructive purposes.  Dynamite was used for mass destruction, which resulted in the loss of many lives.  His invention of explosives was used by many different governments by their militaries for war purposes.

Even when his invention wasn't being put to use in a beneficial way, he still persevered to try and make his invention helpful for all.  To counteract the negative effects of the use of dynamite, Alfred Nobel used his fame and fortune to create the Nobel Peace Prize.  "Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel invented dynamite and other explosives. He used his enormous fortune from 355 patents to institute the Nobel Prizes"    ( Biography.com).  This demonstrates how his intentions for creating dynamite were positive.  This action made an impact on society in the past and today because it shows how generous and peace promoting people can receive an award for their good deeds.   Alfred Nobel wanted to improve the human condition by rewarding people for their contribution and work in philosophy, science and  mathematics.  The Nobel Peace Prize is distributed among many people, especially for their acts of bravery, intellect and honesty.  

Alfred Nobel has displayed his heroic traits by showing his creativity, intellect and inspiration through his inventions regarding mathematics and science.  Many companies, organizations and nations have benefited from his invention of dynamite.  Alfred Nobel's best contribution to society, however,  was the Nobel Peace Prize.  The invention of the Nobel Peace prize is dedicated to those who contribute to society through math, science, literature or peace.  The Nobel Peace Prize honors those who help our society through their inventions, contributions and work.  It has been honoring those people since 1901.  Alfred Nobel was a hero for promoting the advancement of science, mathematics, literature and world peace.  His mind, imagination, and desire to encourage good in our world has been a gift for today's society.  And in the wise words of Alfred Nobel: "If I have a thousand ideas and only one turns out to be good, I am satisfied" (Alfred Nobel).

Promoting Peace - "The Legacy of Alfred Nobel"
BBC - "Historic Figures: Alfred Nobel"
Nobel Prize - Biographical information on Alfred Nobel

Works Consulted

"Alfred Nobel - His Life and Work." Nobelprize.org, Nobel Media AB, 2017, Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

Biography.com. "Alfred Nobel." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 28 Apr. 2017, Accessed 1May 2017.

Kettler, Sara. "6 Surprising Facts About Alfred Nobel." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 9 Mar.2016, Accessed 3 May 2017.

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Alfred Nobel." Encyclopaedia Britannica, Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc., 4 Nov. 2016, Accessed 1 May 2017.

Nobel Media AB 2017. "Alfred Nobel - His Life and Work." Nobelprize.org, Accessed 16 May 2017.

Linke, Jonas. "Alfred Nobel: Dynamite." Prezi.com, Prezi Inc., 8 Feb. 2015, Accessed 16 May 2017.

Sputnik, Sputnik. "Nobel Peace Prize to Be Awarded in Oslo on Friday." Sputnik International-Breaking News & Analysis - Radio, Photos, Videos, Infographics, Sputnik, 7 Oct. 2016, Accessed 16 May 2017.

Untapped Cities. "The Nobel Monument of Theodore Roosevelt Park." Untapped Cities, Untapped Cities, 9 May 2013, Accessed 16 May 2017.