Alexandria Scott

by Michelle Hoang from San Diego

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When you have bad things, make good things"
Alex Scott running her lemonade stand (Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation Website)

The number of lives that childhood cancers take amounts to more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes and pediatric AIDS all combined. Alexandria Scott, a sweet young girl who lost her life at only eight years old, lived a full, wide spreading life. Although she was born with the burden of this deadly disease she insisted to carry the load of all children her age. Despite all of her challenges, her perseverance and passion to find a cure forced the world to face this fatal curse. Her generosity and self-sacrifice inspired countless crowds of people to fight for her cause.

Alexandria Scott’s condition was getting worse; she overcame the pain and hardships of her own life to help others in desperate need. She was determined to help others in her same position. At such a young age, she was never selfish and her sole mission was to help other kids. She wanted to make a difference for those who were diagnosed with this disease and, “Wanted to give the money to the doctors to help them ‘help kids, like they had helped her.’” (New York Times). Not only was she fighting her own cancer, she was striving to somehow make the fight for other kids like her easier. Throughout her pain and all of her treatments, she never failed to achieve her accomplishments. Even after her death, inspired adults and kids around the world are carrying her legacy. Her inconceivable ambition towards finding some kind of cure gave birth to “supporters who are committed to continuing her inspiring legacy through Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation” (CBS News).

Alex decorating her lemonade stand (Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation Website)

Alex’s care towards childhood cancer was more than just the meaning of it. A close friend of hers, Toireasa Barry lost her life when she was just five to neuroblastoma. She felt the need to fight for not only children all around the world, but one of her good friends. After Toireasa’s death, Alex then “set up a lemonade stand in front of her home and raised about $15,000 for "Toireasa's Dream," a cancer-research endowment in her friend's memory”(The Goodness Of America). Alex had the courage to reach out to others with her inspiring story and inform others that children all over the world are suffering. Not only was she undergoing pain and misery, but her own good friend and other children were too. With extreme efforts, Alex was achieving what she set out to accomplish. “Foundation spokesman Phil Arkow describes the response to Alex's charitable endeavors as "unbelievable" (The Goodness Of America). It wasn’t just about raising money to donate to hospitals and research programs. The infamous lemonade stands that Alex held were inspiring children and adults all over the world and raising awareness of childhood cancer. Ultimately, Alex wanted to find a cure for this so that children could live healthy and happy lives. Alex suffered from childhood cancer, yet she lived a happy 8 years of life knowing that she had made a dramatic difference all over the world.

Alex’s movement has affected many, and informed people all over the world about childhood cancer and how she battled it. While fighting her own cancer, Alex strived to help the children just like her. She raised awareness and inspired anyone and everyone that heard her story. With the support of her family, friends, and community her lemonade stands have raised millions of dollars for the research of pediatric cancer. Her legacy will live on for as long as her story is passed along. Many have suffered without Alex’s existence, but although she is no longer with us, her spirit lives on with her loving and supportive family, friends, and the people she inspired. Alexandria Scott was a true hero with courage, generosity, and kindness. Nowadays, we often think of heroes as the most famous person with the best clothes and best looks but Alex Scott had the true beauty of character.

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation - Alex's foundation that she left behind after her death.
Lemonade Crusader Dies - Alex's peaceful death and many accomplishments
Fighting Childhood Cancer - Alex's movement to raise awareness of childhood cancer