Alexandra Scott

by Jordan from San Diego

(www.affinitygalleries.com/media/gallery/photos/ale ())

A small girl sits outside, sick and weak, selling lemonade to strangers that pass by on the lonely sidewalk. That was how Alexandra "Alex" Scott spent her time in between cancer treatments. Born in Manchester, Connecticut on January 18, 1996 she was diagnosed with a childhood cancer known as nueroblastoma shortly before her first birthday. Nueroblastoma is a cancer that attacks the developing nerves of young children. Later that year Alex and her family moved to Wynnewood, Pennsylvania to be closer to the Children's hospital in Philadelphia. Scott showed determination during her cancer treatment. But she also established a foundation to help raise money for cancer patients. During her short life, Alexandra Scott had to battle cancer every day for her life, not only that but she also had a burning passion to help others just like her.

(http://www.alexslemonade.org/about/meet-alex ())

Alexandra was very determined to overcome the hardships of cancer and its treatment. Many obstacles were placed in front of her such as, "On her first birthday, the doctors informed Alex's parents that if she beat her cancer it was doubtful that she would ever walk again. Just two weeks later, Alex slightly moved her leg at her parents' request to kick." (Meet our founder) Alex pushed through the limitations that the doctors set her. She may not have survived cancer but she fought it with all of her will. Most kids as young as she was wouldn't have the strength or will power to fight cancer the way that she did. Alex's father described her early life, "Alex had been diagnosed with a form of childhood cancer, neuroblastoma, prior to her very first birthday "(Scott) After she was diagnosed with cancer she had to battle for her life every day. Nueroblastoma is a form of cancer in which many children don't live past the age of 5 years old. But that didn't stop Alex from fighting and surviving until she was eight years old. With the odds against her Scott was determined to overcome the odds and recover.

http://www.earthlyissues.com/alex.htm ()

Alex was extremely passionate when she was helping other children, just like her, fight cancer. At such a young age Alex Scott accomplished so much, for example, "In August of 2004, Alex passed away at the age of 8, knowing that, with the help of others, she had raised more than $1 million to help find a cure for the disease that took her life." With one small idea and a short lifetime Alex helped thousands of people and further cancer research. She pushed through all of the odds against her and toughed so many people's hearts. In the article, "Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation" by Jay Scott, Alex's father, he stated, "She stood outside for hours, even when she was sick, to raise money for other kids who had cancer." (Scott) Alex put others well being before her own. She didn't care that she was sick; she only wanted to help others. Many people, let alone a young child, wouldn't put others health in front of their own if they were as sick as Alex, but that didn't stop her from helping others. Cancer pushed her to mature faster than most people ever do. Time after time Alex put others' lives before her own.

Throughout her short life Alexandra Scott had to battle cancer, but her story didn't stop there, she also had a passion to help others get through cancer. Alex pushed through every obstacle that was put in front of her. Nothing stopped her from making a difference in the short amount of time that she had. Alexandra Scott is an inspiration to myself and so many others everywhere because of her countless selfless acts. Not only did she battle cancer, she also set up a nationwide charity for cancer at the age of four. She showed the world that no matter how big or small you are, you can make anything possible if you put your mind to it. As Alex's father said, "She would battle the disease for the rest of her life, and it was during one of her treatment cycles that she came up with the idea to host a lemonade stand. Alex was just four-years-old when she asked my wife if she could hold a lemonade stand when she was released from the hospital." She set her mind to something and hit her goal and pushed passed it. Alex is an unsung hero who showed the world that anything is possible.

"8 Amazing Kids Who Changed the World: Alexandra 'Alex' Scott." MNN. Mother Nature Network, n.d. Web. 17 Apr. 2014.

"Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 12 Apr. 2012. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.

"Frequently Asked Questions." Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer. Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood, 2012. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.

"Meet Our Founder: Alexandra Scott." Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer. Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood, 2004. Web. 17 Apr. 2014.

"What Is Neuroblastoma?" What Is Neuroblastoma? American Cancer Society, 17 Mar. 2014. Web. 28 Mar. 2014.