Aaliyah

by Jeanie from Wyandanch

I picked Aaliyah as my hero, because she was a great person to call a hero. Heroes save other people. Even though she was a singer, she did save people. Unfortunately, she died in a plane crash when she was only 22 years old. Today people call her a hero because she helped a lot of people in the past. After the plane crash her parents started the Aaliyah Memorial fund. It was made so that her fans, friends, and family could contribute to causes that Aalyiah thought were important. The fund supports Revlon/UCLA Women's Breast Cancer Research Program and the National Breast Cancer Coalition, Sloan Kettering and the National Alzheimer's Association. Many people are helped through these causes.

My hero Aaliyah Dana Haughton was born on January 16 , 1979 in Brooklyn, New York. Her parents names is Michael Haughton and Diane Haughton. Her name Aalyah, means, "the highest"; her parents named her that on purpose . When she was five years old, her family moved to Detroit, Michigan where she was raised along with her older brother. She was asked once what would she want to be remember for when she died. She said, "as a great singer and actress". I think she achieved that goal.

Among many awards during her short life, Aaliyah won 2 MTV Music Video Awards is 2000 and she was nominated for several Grammy Awards for R&B female vocal performance. She also won American Music Awards in 2002 for best R&B album and female artist. In 2003 she won for female artist.

Aaliyah is a person that nobody will forget about. That is because she is one best female artist of the past. Many people think her music was the best! This is why she is my hero.