Aaron Meyer

by Kimiya K. from Sycamore Jr. High

In the book The Hero’s Trail T.A Barron discussed five different types of heroes. His five types of heroes are: Heroes on the Spot, Survivor Hero, Hero within, Heroes Near and Far, and Hero of all time. T.A Barron pointed out that there are heroes made every day by average people doing amazing things. I have found one of these heroes, and his name is Aaron Meyer.

The name probably doesn’t ring a bell. This guy isn’t worldly known or anything like that, he’s just an average Joe like you and me. I also think it’s great that (for me anyway)he is a local Cincinnati man. This is his story:

Aaron Meyer was driving from a friend’s house one day in May. This day was pretty much any other day in May, not warm enough to go swimming, but sunny enough to think about it. Little did Aaron know that soon, he was going to have to dive on in.

Oh no! (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5097.jpg)

Driving through a local neighborhood, Aaron saw a little girl, no more than one year old or so, wandering around on the deck of her parent’s pool…unattended. As quick as a blink of an eye, she was no longer on the deck, but in the pool waving her arms as gasping for breath. It was all up to Aaron now.

Aaron saw all this and, without even thinking, pulled over and ran toward the yard to save the drowning child. He hopped the fence and ran even faster to the pool. Then he jumped in, not even thinking about the time he himself nearly drown in a pool. There was no time to think, there was only time to act.

Soon he found himself in the pool trying his best to get to the little girl. His heavy and wet clothes were pulling him down, but he kept going. Eventually the girl was within reach and Aaron gathered her safely into his arms. Thankfully, one of Aaron’s friends was driving by and got out of his car in time to take the coughing child from Aaron’s wet arms. Wet and a bit shaken, Aaron Meyer was a Hero on the Spot, he just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

So I guess T.A Barron was right, “…we ourselves matter. Every single one of us, every single day…”

9 News - 9 News reports on Aaron Meyer (I like this one the best)
Rescue Breathing Methods - This is a great site to go to for emergencey info
Pool saftey for young children - If you have a little brother or sister and a pool, you might want to check this out
Red Cross - A great site to have handy 24/7

Hey! Thanks for checking out my hero, Aaron Meyer. I'm sure that you will find this story uplifting and motivational. Please take some time after you read to check out the links. I know you will enjoy them. Thanks again for stopping by www.myhero.com!