Abigail Adams

by Samantha from Laguna Beach

Abigail Adams

Abigail Smith was born in 1744 at Weymouth, Massachusetts. Her mother's side of the family were the Quincys. They were a powerful family in their colony. Her father’s side of the family were ministers. Girls could not go to school, but Abigail showed how smart she was to everyone by reading books that she had. When she and John they both loved reading, but John was educated at Harvard and planned to be a lawyer. They got married in 1764 and were married for more than 50 years. Abigail Smith Adams was an important woman in history because she was the second First Lady of the United States, she was a dedicated mother and wife, and because of her famous letters to her husband.

John was elected as an officer in the Continental Congress so he had to be gone from his family a lot. When John was gone as a Judge, Abigail had to take care of her 3 sons and 2 daughters. Abigail wrote letters to him in her spare time. She described about what was happening in her life and at home while the war was going on. In her letters she talked about her worries about war shortages, teaching all of her kids, and running the farm without a lot of help. Abigail was very lonely without John her “dearest Friend.” In one of her letters she said “ one single expression, dwelt upon my mind and played about my Heart….”

In 1785 John became the first United States Minister to Great Britain and Abigail stood by him. In 1788 they moved into the house in Braintree Massachusetts, where they would live the rest of their lives. Abigail Adams soon became friends with Mrs. Washington and helped her with throwing fancy parties. She had a lot of knowledge about courts and other countries outside of America. In 1791 she had to move home to her house because she was sick. She said to “not forget the blessings which sweeten life”.

When John became President, Abigail still had fancy dinners and parties even though the White House wasn’t done yet and the city was in a wilderness. In 1801 John and Abigail retired in their home, Quincy, and lived there for 17 more years. She passed away in 1818 and they buried her next to John in United First Parish Church. She will always be remembered as a talented strong woman who educated herself and her family through hard times.

The reason why I chose Abigail Smith Adams for my hero is because women look up to her for being so strong when bad times were happening and she was lonely. I respect her for being who she is.