Bibi Aisha

by Emma from San Francisco

Bibi
Bibi

Bibi Aisha is a Afghan woman who was put through a struggle that no one should experience.  When she was twelve years old her father promised that she would be married to a Taliban fighter, this was because she had to follow an obligation. This obligation said that she would have to marry someone within the family; in Afghan this is very common among the different families. She was soon married at fourteen and throughout the marriage she was abused multiple times, this soon led her to flee her marriage .

She was soon caught by her father and returned to her in-laws. They were so upset they led to beating her, because kidnapping was frowned upon on the village they took her onto the mountains, cut her nose and ears off, and left her to die. She was abandoned and soon was found by US military leaders and was brought to safety. Because of the abuse men put her through she would not let anyone but women nurse touch her and help her. Bibi was shown on the cover of Times magazine, this led people in the US to find her and bring her to the US to get reconstructive surgery on her nose and ears.

Bibi is a woman in faith in many ways, the ways she shows faith is throughout her struggle. Even though she was the age fourteen she acted like a grown woman through the whole time. She never showed weakness, and she did not let anyone tell her that she should give up, or that she wasn't going make it. Another way she showed faith was though her way of exception. Even though she was only fourteen she still told her father she would marry if he wanted her to.  She never gave up even though she was in pain and was on the verge of death.

Bibi with a reconstructed nose
Bibi with a reconstructed nose