Bob Beckworth

by Drew from Atlanta

My hero is Bob Beckworth, a 78-year-old retired fireman who arrived to help out on the scene of 9/11. He helped clean up the mess after the catastrophe of the plane crashes. He rescued people and found remains. This hero currently resides in Baldwin, NY with his wife. When the planes hit, he was in a hospital taking care of his grandson. Bob is my hero because he did more than he had to do in the disastrous events of 9/11, and after that, he even met the president for his valiant efforts.

This hero’s story begins when he was taking his grandson to the hospital. Bob Beckworth saw it on the t.v when the planes hit. Only moments afterward, he heard on the radio that his son’s friend, Jimmy, was missing. Telling himself that “[he’s] gotta find that kid,” (Beckworth) “ Dressed in [his] old uniform”, Bob got through two rings of guards, (Beckworth) After hours of grueling work, the president recognized Bob Beckworth as a hero. After months of interviews, he was invited to dinner with the president and his wife. He has visited the president about eight more times. Beckworth describes him as “ a really good guy,” (Beckworth). Bob considers those few months as the “most important moments my life,” (Beckworth). Bob Beckworth is thankful every day for all the generosity and support everyone has showed him for the past few years, but he also says a prayer for all who were killed, all the children, 343 fireman, 227 cops. All lost.