Ben Carson

by Annabelle from Australia

Ben Carson - Hero

What do you think of when you hear someone say, 'hero'? I think of someone who faces the risk of failure while trying something new. Someone who tries and fails, and tries again until they get it right. Someone who has strong faith, perseverance, who tries hard, and who has moral direction. The person I think of, with all of these things, is Ben Carson.

Ben Carson is a world famous neurosurgeon. He had a troubled childhood, being least-smartest in the grade, getting bullied, etc. His mum encouraged him to try hard at school, learn more, and do the best he could. His dad left home for another woman and his mother became depressed. He then became friends with the bullies, and was getting himself into some real trouble. He began to get strongly aggressive, especially towards his mum, made threats, etc. The real turning point in his life, was when he got angry at one of his bully-friends, and went to stab him. Luckily the knife he was using had hit the boy's belt buckle and had broken in half. Ben then ran straight to God and prayed, sang, and quickly changed his attitude. Ben graduated from high school with high marks, and went to university. He studied to be a doctor, then graduated and applied for a Johns Hopkins internship, and got a place. (In the midst of all this, he got married and had a couple of kids). Ben went against the rules and did an emergency operation to save a life. After the operation, his boss told him how brave that was, and how well done it was, and Ben became the director of the Pediatric Department. Ben Carson operated on hundreds of conjoined twins, and before each operation he would pray. Ben Carson had strong faith, and went to church often. He looked after his family well, and gave his kids a good education.

Ben Carson is seen as a hero because, he saves lives, he is inspiring, he sets good examples, he has overcome adversity, he is intelligent, he is a Christian and has strong faith, he is persistent and determined, he has good morals, he is caring, he is loving, he is generous, he sacrifices time and energy, he is healthy, he is patient, he has a good attitude towards life, and he is happy.

I think Ben Carson is definitely a hero, and I think that people should think about how much he has changed throughout his life, and how much he has changed other people's lives, and I think people should respect that.

I recommend for people aged 14 and above to either watch the movie 'Gifted Hands,' or I encourage them to read the book.

Ben Carson - Dr. Carson's Official Website
Academy of Achievement - Biography of a gifted pediatric neurosurgeon
Read MY HERO story on Ben Carson - by Dr. Renee Shackelford