Ben Carson

by Tony from Fresno

Benjamin Carson was born in Detroit, Michigan September 18, 1951. He grew up in a rough life as a kid. His mother (Sonya) got married when she was only 13 years old. His mother had a rough time raising both him and his older brother Curtis because his parents divorced and she had to work at multiple jobs. Since his parents have divorced, Ben and his brother yearned for a father. Ben soon grew a bad temper in the fifth grade because he wasn't the brightest kid in class and his class mates always called him "dummy". Ben's mother was furious seeing both his and his brother's bad grades. She then restricted them from doing stuff like playing outside or just about any other things that might distract them from getting their education. Their mother also required them to read at least two library books a week and give her a report on it. Doing all that for a few weeks made Ben realize that he wasn't stupid at all. His Classmates also then realize he wasn't stupid and within time, he became the top of his class.

Benjamin started to study on various subjects and in no time at all, he decides to become a physician. After graduating high school, he the went on to Yale University and got a degree in psychology. He then went to study about medicine in the University of Michigan. After a while, he shifted his interest from psychiatry to neurosurgery. After going through medical school, he then became a surgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He became the hospital's director of pediatric neurosurgery at the age of 32. Ben made history in 1987 by separating two twins that were born joined at the back of the head. Ben lead a group of 70 surgical members and worked for 22 hours. It was a success and the two twins can survive individually. Ben's later surgeries are also well known.

Other than operations and medical things, Dr. Carson also does public speeches and holds a lot of speeches for young people. Dr.Carson received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from the White House in 2008. The Presidential Medal of Honor is the highest civilian honor in the nation. Dr.Carson also has books like "Gifted Hands" and "Think Big". His books inspire many even til this day.