B. Davis Evans

by Tyler from Spanish Fork

Bud Davis Evans was a man who lived and exemplified the first amendment. Nothing was more important to him than freedom of speech, and freedom of expression. The work that he did to help educate students and general public both, on how important it is to express yourself, will be remembered for years to come.

After graduating from Brigham Young University, he returned to his hometown of Spanish Fork Utah, where he wrote a column for the local newspaper, the Spanish Fork Press, for over twenty years. In his column, "Around The Town", B. Davis Evans reported on the goings on in the local area. Whereas other reporters would try to word things just right, and find the "perfect headline" B. Davis Evans wrote things he saw, as he saw them, nothing more, nothing less. His column was so widely read, that his quickly became a household name.

In addition to his column for the newspaper, B Davis Evans also taught speech and drama at Spanish Fork High School for thirty-three years. He gave up countless hours of his own time, to help his students express themselves through the dramatic arts and musical theater. During his time at Spanish Fork High School, he directed over twenty major musicals, led six state champion acting teams, and sixteen region champion teams. B. Davis Evans was well known for always saying that, "People should smile at least once every day.", and for his students, this was not only a saying, it was a policy.

So few students in the Spanish Fork High School Drama Department today, even know the story or significance behind his name. However, each year, Spanish Fork High School's Drama Department honors B. Davis Evans' memory by presenting one outstanding senior with the B. Davis Evans Memorial Scholarship, encouraging them to, like he did, strive to make the importance of freedom of expression known to everyone willing to listen.

Williams, Lane. "Writer said what he thought. That's what really matters.." [Online] Available http://www.deseretnews.com/article/112483/WRITER-SAID-WHAT-HE-THOUGHT---THATS-WHAT-REALLY-MATTERED.h.

Unknown. "Death: B Davis Evans." [Online] Available http://www.deseretnews.com/article/111488/DEATH--B-DAVIS-EVANS.html?pg=all.