Benjamin Franklin

by Andrew M. from San Diego

Benjamin Franklin (www.wikipedia.org)
Benjamin Franklin (www.wikipedia.org)

A hero is someone who tries to reach a higher goal, someone who can explore the unknown with positive results. A hero is someone who is fitting for their time. A hero is someone like Benjamin Franklin, a man who is known as a hero because of his intelligence and his service in Congress.

"Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship." -Benjamin Franklin

Hundred dollar bill picture (ca.news.yahoo.com)

Benjamin Franklin was born on January 17, 1706. He was the fifteenth out of seventeen children, making him the youngest son in the family. As a young boy, Ben was an excellent reader, fair writer, but poor in mathematics (Waldstreicher). As a young adult, Franklin worked as a printer in his brothers’ print shop. His works were mostly credited with a pen-name, including the name Poor Richard, which he used to write the famous Poor Richards Almanac.(Franklin, Benjamin (1706-1790)). In later life, Benjamin Franklin became an inventor, inventing such things as the pot-belly stove and the public library. Benjamin Franklin died on April 17, 1790. (www.robinsonlibrary.com)

Ben discovering electricity (learning keys.us)

Benjamin Franklin’s intelligence and service in Congress are two of the many reasons Benjamin Franklin is a hero. Without his inventions, the world today would be a very different place. Benjamin Franklin is the man who harnessed electricity, one of the main things that the people of today take for granted. With just a kite and a key, Ben discovered a lot about the properties of electricity and what it can do for us ("In search of our favorite founding father). Ben also served in Congress as an old man. His decisions influenced the people of his time.

Lightning rod (benfranklin300.org)
Lightning rod (benfranklin300.org)

Benjamin Franklin is an inspiration to everyone who ever wanted to be an inventor. His inventions that he created in a time with lower technology are more advanced than anyone could think. He changed the world for the better. If it weren’t for Benjamin Franklin, we would live in a different day and age. Today is the way it is because of Benjamin Franklin, a hero who continues to inspire us to this day.

Works cited:

"In search of our favorite founding father.(Benjamin Franklin)(USA Yesterday)." USA Today (Magazine). 138. 2775 (Dec 2009): 4(2). Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 26 Jan. 2010

Franklin, Benjamin." U*X*L Encyclopedia of U.S. History. Sonia Benson, Daniel E. Brannen, Jr., and Rebecca Valentine. Ed. Lawrence W. Baker and Sarah Hermsen. Vol. 3. Detroit: UXL, 2009. 582-583. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 27 Jan. 2010 .

WalWaldstreicher, David. "Franklin, Benjamin." World Book Student. World Book, 2010. Web. 19 Jan. 2010

"Franklin, Benjamin (1706-1790)." DISCovering Authors. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 22 Jan. 2010 .

Brainy quote - a website that provides clever quotes said by famous people
The History Channel - a website that provides historical facts