Benjamin Franklin

by James from San Diego

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn" (Benjamin Franklin). Benjamin Franklin lived his life as a constant inventor, entrepreneur, and leader, characteristics that eventually led him to be one of the most revered men in American History. Benjamin Franklin was born in 1706, in Boston. Franklin was one of 17 brothers and sisters in his family. With so many siblings, he raised himself to be able to handle the world. In his teenage years, Franklin was an apprentice printer working at his brother's printing business. Eventually, Franklin bought the Pennsylvania Gazette and forever labeled himself as a printer. However, Franklin is known for much more than just a printer. Franklin led America to independence through his genius ideas, responsible actions, and amazing leadership qualities. Benjamin Franklin had the capability to undertake any problem hurled in his way using his natural instinct to take responsibility over anything. Another amazing capability Franklin possessed was the ability to take leadership over anything; even America. Franklin brought great change to the United States of America by overrunning the past society with his ability to take initiative, utilizing his natural aptitude to deal with large responsibilities, create objects to further the field of science, and have the will to fight for his beliefs. 

Benjamin Franklin was responsible in almost all factors in life, from holding up a family printing business to representing the people's thoughts and opinions. Benjamin Franklin began working as an apprentice printer at the age of 15, one of his first jobs that lead him to greatness. Benjamin Franklin worked in the print shop his older brother, James, ran. "James was thrown in jail for his views, and was left to run the paper for several issues. Upon release from jail, James was not grateful to Ben for keeping the paper going. Instead he kept harassing his younger brother and administering beatings from time to time. Ben could not take it and decided to run away in 1723" (www.ushistory.org). Although being a printer seems like an easy job, it is a hard task for someone of his age to run an entire business and keep it running. Franklin made sure he carried out any job he is handed, and always tried to clear the task at hand. Benjamin Franklin always took it upon himself to represent the people of America. "Ben began writing letters at night and signing them with the name of a fictional widow, Silence Dogood. Dogood was filled with advice and was very critical of the world around her, particularly concerning the issue of how women were treated. Ben would sneak the letters under the print shop door at night so no one knew who was writing the pieces. They were a smash hit, and everyone wanted to know who the real 'Silence Dogood' was" (www.ushistory.org). Franklin represented the opinions of the citizens of America through selfish, justified reasons that also happened to benefit the United States. Although he was not aware of this at the time, Franklin took responsibility for bringing changes to the society of the United States. Franklin took a responsible role in every job he was assigned in his lifetime. 

Benjamin Franklin used his creative talents to further the field of science in America. Benjamin Franklin used his genius to help create normal household items, but also left behind revolutionary discoveries that will help aid inventors in the future. Franklin invented bifocals, which were eyeglasses that had lenses that were parted in half (one side for reading and one side for daily use), the Franklin Stove, a Long Arm, and discovering the Daylight Saving Time.

Although most noted for his political influence over America, Franklin still created normal, items for day-to-day use. Franklin made America an easier place to live in, though he may have made Americans lazier in the process. It was not just small inventions Benjamin was responsible for, but he also realized the relationship between electricity and lightning. "Before Franklin started his scientific experimentation, it was thought that electricity consisted of two opposing forces. Franklin showed that electricity consisted of a "common element" which he named "electric fire." Further, electricity was "fluid" like a liquid. It passed from one body to another --- however it was never destroyed" (www.ushistory.org). Although it was not an invention, Franklin's discovery led to many new inventions in the future. Benjamin Franklin ahead of his time, giving hints to future generations. Benjamin Franklin was a creative man who had invented many useful items that are still in use today. 

Benjamin Franklin's ambition served as a leader who shaped America into what it is today. Franklin helped settle the war between Europeans and the Americans. "During the latter stages of the Revolution, Franklin served as minister to France for the United States. His diplomacy proved vital in negotiating the Treaty of Paris to end the war. Following the end of the war, Franklin stayed in France as the American ambassador" (Gale Biography in Context). Franklin proves his ambition to help America by negotiating this Treaty of Paris. The Revolutionary war is arguably the most important war ever fought by the U.S. and Benjamin Franklin was a major factor that led America to victory. Benjamin Franklin not only settled the war between the Europeans and Americans, but he was also the driving force that managed to lead America to Independence. "Franklin also revived the dormant Quaker party. Although he originally believed it best for the British Colonies to remain with England, the stubborn stance of King George III eventually pushed Franklin into the arms of the revolutionaries. Franklin even became estranged from his son William, who was a loyalist during the revolution. Franklin helped Thomas Jefferson draft a copy of the Declaration of Independence, and he himself signed it" (Gale Biography in Context). Benjamin Franklin was truly a leader of the US when it came to the initial formation of the country. Franklin deserves the title of "Founding Father" because of the many acts he has committed to this country. Benjamin Franklin's ambitious personality shaped the United States of America to what it is today. 

Benjamin Franklin was a natural leader, and inventor who took responsibility over the fate of the United States of America. Franklin managed to both create his own life as a printer, represent the people of the United States, and lead America to Independence using his shining characteristics. When America needed a leader to follow, they turned to Benjamin Franklin, who acted accordingly as a printer, inventor, leader, and most importantly, as a hero. Franklin fought for his beliefs, and at the same time, he brought not only large changes to America's government, but also to America's society.

Works consulted

"Benjamin Franklin." Biography.com. Biography Channel, n.d. Web. 29 Mar. 2013

.

Carson, Thomas, and Mary Bonk. "Benjamin Franklin." Encyclopedia of U.S. Economic History.

1999. Gale. Web. 29 Mar. 2013

Dow, Sheila, and Jaime E. Noce. "Benjamin Franklin." Biography In Context. Detroit: Gale,

1999, N. pa. Gale. Web. 29 Mar. 2013.

Franklin, Benjamin. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Comp. Andrew S. Trees. New

York: Barnes & Noble, 2005. Print.

UShistory.org. "The Electric Benjamin Franklin." Quick biography of Benjamin Franklin.

Independence Hall Association, n.d. Web. 29 Mar. 2013

.