Bill Gates

by Cole from San Diego

Not many people leave Harvard for interest in computer programming. However, that's exactly what Gates did to help found a company which now rules the market of computer software. Bill Gates, born in 1955, was a computer programmer who helped start the company Microsoft. In 1975, Bill left Harvard to make Microsoft, and five years later, Microsoft got the license to MS-DOS and made a deal with IBM. Gates' company became very successful and with the excess money he often donates. Bill Gates is a hero because he has kindness, intelligence, and an innovative mind.

Gates has proved to be a very kind person who cares about people all around the world. Judith S. Baughman wrote that "Gates divided the remaining $6.5 billion between two huge foundations, the William H. Gates Foundation and the Gates Learning Foundation, set up to fund charitable and philanthropic work."(Baughman) He is very selfless by giving away over half of his money, $6.5 billion. This shows how he really wants to make the world a better place. According to Gale Biography In Context, "He and wife Melinda established the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which focuses on helping to improve health care and education for children around the world."(Encyclopedia of World Biography) Out of kindness, Bill and his wife started to make worldwide health care and education better. This is a very kind thing to do and it is probably out of love for the world. Not only does Bill Gates donate to improving peoples' lives, he also inspires the people he helps to also be kind.

From the beginning, Gates' intelligence has played a huge part in his success. In Gale Virtual Reference Library, it is noted that "Gates began programming computers at the age of thirteen."(Baughman) Even from a young age, Bill was a genius. His interest reflected his future business. In the database Gale Biography In Context, it's recorded that, "Without the lure of computers, Gates made plans in 1970 for college and law school, but by 1971 he was back helping Allen write a class scheduling program for their school's computer."(Encyclopedia of World Biography) He even helped make his school better with his programming skills. This shows his intelligence because he helped the school when usually the school helps the student. Gates' intelligence has allowed him to pursue his dreams and make Microsoft very successful.

Gates' intelligence has allowed him to pursue his dreams and make Microsoft very successful. Another thing that brought Gates to success was his innovative mind. Judith S. Baughman explains that "In 1973 he entered Harvard University, where he developed the programming language BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) for the first microcomputer, the MITS Altair."(Baughman) He invented a programming language for the first microcomputer. This shows how valuable his skills were and his programming potential. It is explained in Gale Biography In Context that "Gates' gift for software design, as well as his skills in business, made Microsoft, the company he cofounded with a high school friend in Richmond, Washington, a multi-billion-dollar empire."( Encyclopedia of World Biography) He used his talent to make a very productive company. This shows how well he was able to use is intelligence innovatively. Gates was very smart but he also was able to use his gift to innovate and make the world a better place.

Gates is really a very intelligent and kind person who innovates all for the benefit of others. He does everything he can to make the world a better place, from making foundations, to making computer software. Gates inspires me to be a kinder person, try my best to achieve my dreams, and make the world a better place. Gates left Harvard to go achieve his dreams.

Works Consulted
"Gates, Bill 1955-." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Vol. 10: 1990-1999. Detroit: Gale, 2001. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 28 Jan. 2013.

"Gates, Bill." Britannica Biographies (2012): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 28 Jan. 2013.

"Bill Gates Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2013. Web. 05 Feb. 2013. 
.

Lesinski, Jeanne M. Bill Gates: Entrepreneur and Philanthropist. Minneapolis, MN: Twenty-First Century, 2009. Print.

Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, 2013. Web. 05 Feb. 2013..

Bill Gates Biography - Bio.com. A&E Networks Television
Picture - Gates holding up a product
Picture - Bill Gates