Angels

Bethany Hamilton

by Nicole from San Diego

Bethany Hamilton before the attack
Bethany Hamilton before the attack

Once burned twice shy Bethany Hamilton was ‘Burned’ doing what she loved most while surfing she was attacked by a shark, after she got bit by a shark she still didn’t let that stop her from taking that risk again because of the passion she has for surfing. The out come of this tragic event made it possible that Bethany wouldn’t survive. Worse for her was to have to live without surfing. Just a year before the attack Bethany was just an ordinary typical teenage surfer girl living on the shores of Kauai. In just a matter of minutes, a drastic change occurred to this young girl. While surfing in the waves in Kauai Bethany was attacked by a fourteen foot tiger shark. The chances of this disaster happening to this girl were “one in a million.” Unfortunately Bethany had to suffer a great tragedy of losing her arm to a shark. Although Bethany was once ‘burned’ in the end it made her develop strength in herself. Bethany Hamilton is a hero, not only because she survived a severe shark attack losing her left arm, but because she has bravery strength and determination to overcome the challenge.

Bethany Hamilton
Bethany Hamilton

On February 1990, Bethany Hamilton's parents taught her now to surf. This was a new beginning for Bethany that would impact her for a lifetime. Bethany was born on the island of Kauai. She entered her first major surfing contest on Oahu were she took home the trophy for first place. Throughout the years Bethany has increased to become more of a better surfer. Not for long her life was about to change. On October 31 everything started to drastically change. While surfing off of the North Shores of Kauai, Bethany was attacked by a 14 foot tiger shark. She turned her horrifying experience into a blessing and a lifetime story. Bethany soon became a historical figure in the surf world and became a spokesman for World Vision to inspire others. Bethany has accomplished so many things in her life and to many people is considered a hero.

While keeping her head held high Bethany always stayed positive and was ready to overcome her fears of once being ‘burned’. “Three weeks later Bethany got back on her board ready to surf again.” (“The Last Word”) Instead of becoming fearful of the ocean she immediately conquered her fears. Bethany didn’t let anything stop her from doing what she loved most. Bethany Hamilton was born into a family of surfers. Even though she had the unfortunate experience she didn’t let it get in the way of her love for surfing. Surfing is in her blood and wasn’t going to let a milestone in her life keep her from perusing her passion. “I told myself, You can do it. You can paddle and get up with one arm. But quickly another voice yelled back, Forget it. You’re going to fail.(Soul Surfer) Bethany took a risk and decided to be brave and go for it. At that point Bethany was willing to risk everything to overcome that she was once ‘Burned’. She was ready take pride and pick up right were she left off in her surfing courier.

Bethany missed her love for surfing and was determined to do whatever it took to bounce back better than ever. Recovery wasn’t easy for Bethany it required effort and hard work. “I had about three weeks to four of healing and recovery before I could give surfing with one arm a try. The doctor ordered me to stay out of the water until everything held up. I set a deadline for myself: Thanksgiving Day.”(“Soul Surfer”) Bethany is just oozing with eagerness and excitement to get back out there and do what she loves best. Bethany is heroic because she showed that she was determined to accomplish anything she set her mind to. Bethany was willing to do what ever it took to get back her once surfing talent. To regain her skills Bethany had to relearn how to paddle, swim, and surf with one arm. When Thanksgiving Day finally came, Bethany picked up right where she left off and continued to compete for that winning title. “Three weeks later Bethany got back on her board determined to surf again.”(“The Last Word”) Bethany didn’t see this as a disadvantage, she looked at the positive alternatives and use this obstacle in her life, as an opportunity to set the bar to higher standards and to become the best comeback athlete. The characteristics and qualities Bethany portrays separates her from a surfer to a hero.

Bethany Hamilton surfing
Bethany Hamilton surfing

Bethany Hamilton is an inspiration to many because of her undying and persistent attitude of recovering after once being ‘burned’. Bethany continues to inspire young girls around the world as she is a “world-renown” speaker today. She teaches youth how to take a tragedy and turn it into a blessing or something positive. She sees her once tragic experience now as a blessing in her life. “In July 2004, Hamilton won the ESPY Award for “Best Comeback Athlete”. (Getting Back). She was presented with a special courage award at the 2004 Teen Choice Awards. Tenacious Bethany even pursued the “NSSA National Championships” where she placed first. She began competing full-time in the Association of Surfing Professionals World Qualifying Series (WQS). These achievements prove that Bethany wasn’t going to let anything stop her from obtaining her dreams and goals and the passion she dearly loves. By working hard and pushing through the obstacles in her life Bethany was able to prove to herself and the world that she is a champion. To share with the world her inspirational story Bethany wrote her story in “Soul Surfer”. This book has given the message of not quitting and getting up and persevering after a tragedy to many young girls. When Bethany speaks thousands come out to hear her message of triumph over the world’s obstacles. Bethany picked the title of her book “Soul Surfer” as a result of her spiritual journey allowing her to discover “that the body is no more essential to surfing — perhaps even less so — than the soul”. Bethany’s unfaltering faith and determination let her persist what she loved most after once being ‘burned’.