Blake Mycoskie

by Elizabeth from St. Clair

There are children all over the world who don’t have shoes. In those children’s eyes, Blake Mycoskie is a hero because he started the TOMS Foundation. When he witnessed children with no shoes on his vacation in Argentina, it touched his heart to make a difference in those children’s lives.

Blake giving new shoes to children in need

Blake was born in 1976. He loves to travel and read books. He even competed on the Amazing Race television show with his sister, Paige. They almost won the grand prize of one million dollars. Currently, Blake lives in Los Angeles on a sailboat. Blake’s favorite quote is by Gandhi: “Be the change you wish to see in the world,” (TOMS).

TOMS is a shoe brand organization that for every pair of shoes someone purchases, a pair of shoes goes to children overseas who don’t have any. It was started in 2006 and in that year, TOMS donated over 10,000 pairs of shoes to Argentina. Over the course of that year, Blake donated 400,000 pairs of shoes to many countries with children who have no shoes. Today, TOMS has donated 600,000 pairs of shoes to children in need (Abilene Christian University). Now, Blake has set up sunglass wear. For every TOMS sunglasses purchased, a child overseas gets their sight fixed or helped (TOMS).

Blake is a motivator. He wants children to work their hardest so they can make tomorrow a better place. He wants us to put forth as much effort as we can in everything we do because we are capable of accomplishing great things. He is a very good businessman, “Blake has always had an entrepreneurial spirit, starting 5 businesses before TOMS,” (TOMS).

A hero in my eyes is someone who tries to do good in this world. A hero is a person who will stop at no extent to help someone in need. Blake Mycoskie is a hero. He is an amazing person who does everything he can to change young children’s lives. He is a motivator and will keep on doing great things in his lifetime.