Barack Hussein Obama Jr.

by Kerith from Wyandanch

Obama as a child (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/070323obama-early-photogallery,0,5458360.photogallery)

Barack Obama was born on August 4th. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. His parents were Barack Obama, Sr. who was from Kenya, Africa and Ann Dunham from Kansas. Barack's full name is Barack Hussein Obama, Jr.

Obama's parents were separated when he was two and then divorced. His father went to Harvard. His mother remarried and they moved to Jakarta, Indonesia were Obama's half-sister Maya was born. Later Obama's mother sent him back to Hawaii to live with her parents.

While Obama was living with his grandparents he went to Punahou Academy in Honolulu. He was one of the only three black students at the school and so he began to notice the racism around him and to think about what being African-American meant.

After high school, he went to Occidental College in Los Angeles for two years. He then transferred to Columbia University in New York, and graduated with a degree in political science. He worked for two years then went to Chicago before attending Harvard Law School. He had very little contact with his father who was in several car accidents, the last of which took his life while traveling to Nairobi. Obama was only 22 when his father died.

Barack met Michelle Robinson who was assigned to him to be an adviser during a summer internship at a law firm. Obama and Michelle married, moved to Kenwood and had two daughters, Malia and Sasha.

Obama was an Illinois State Senator for eight years, before being elected to the U.S. Senate, in 2004. Obama became noticed when he gave the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. Later he announced his candidacy for his Presidency. His running mate was Joseph Biden. On November 4th, 2008 Barack Obama defeated Republican presidential nominee John McCain. On January 20, 2009, Obama became the new 44th president of the United States. He is also the first African-American to hold office.

I love president Obama. He is a role model to all blacks all over. This is why I think he is a wonderful peacemaker. He has gotten so far as an African-American man. He is the first African-American man to ever hold Presidential office in the United States. Obama becoming the president is history that we will all remember!

Obama is an influence to all African-American men. He overcame so many things in his life. Like when his father died in a car accident when he was only 22; that's a big deal! He never stopped what he was doing; he still kept his head up and moved forward. I think others can look up to Obama. We should all follow in his footsteps. Anyone can be president. You could too. It's just like Obama says, "Yes We Can"!!!!!!!♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥