Billy Walkabout

by Autumn Rain Eyes

'Peace Is Not Just For The Seasons, It Is Also A Native American Way Of Life.'
Billy Walkabout
Billy Walkabout

Stevie Nicks, "Dreams" -
"...Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions, I keep my visions to myself, It's only me, Who wants to wrap around your dreams... Have you any dreams you'd like to sell? Dreams of loneliness... Like a heartbeat...drives you mad... In the stillness of remembering what you had... what you lost..."

Aragorn~ Lord Of The Rings~
"...This day does not belong to one man but to all. Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace..."

A Freedom Hero:
"Individuals who have stood up for justice and humanity among all people..."

Like Billy Walkabout's Blues (Journal Entry)
'I shipped out to Vietnam. I wanted to serve my nation and protect my people. I found myself in the jungles of Vietnam, ten thousand miles from home. Under monsoon rains, under a painted sky, leeches crawled on my arms. The little blood-suckers fell off into the night. The rain fell all night. Back in the world, no gal danced the southern dance for me. And the clouds hid the sun. I was burdened with separation from my family and the rez. I couldn’t wear an eaglefeather on my steel-helmet or tear that peace sign away. My war-shirt had blood all over it. I had blood on my hands. I saw people die. I saw medevac helicopters air lift them out. Those guys would remain in my memory. I didn’t have time to grieve then. Firebase on the distant mountain. The jungle was full of mountain ghosts. Sweet Lady, I never had your love to get me through, Nor did I ever receive any of your letters. You still were so far and so many years away on the great turtle island. I had to go through a year of combat, I came home to a hostile and ungrateful nation. I was treated like a war-criminal. I felt like I didn’t even belong in this land of my ancestors,and all the way through, I was a wounded warrior struggling with PTSD. I tried to get back on track, But I had too many 'nam flashbacks. Not even Ojibwe dreamcatchers could catch all the nightmares.There were years of drug use, alcoholism, homelessness, and racism, Before I found my way to you...'

Billy Walkabout (Painting Bookmark By <A HREF=http://www.amonsoquath.net/gallery/pages/davis.html>Talmadge Davis</A>, Cherokee Indian Artist)
Billy Walkabout (Painting Bookmark By Talmadge Davis, Cherokee Indian Artist)

In Honor Of Billy Walkabout, My Step-Father.

Billy Walkabout
Images and Legends of America's Forgotten War Veterans - Documenting the Images and Legends of America's Forgotten War Veterans
Talmadge Davis - American Indian Artist - From Indian country news

"Did you know that nearly 90% of the 86,000 Natives who enlisted during the Vietnam War were volunteers? That, per capita, more Native people enlisted than any other minority group? And over half served in combat?

Again, just like with WWII, numerous Native American heros came out of Vietnam, with the most decorated being Billy Walkabout, a Cherokee, and member of Co. F 58th Inf, 1012t Airborne, Rangers, who received the Distinguished Service Cross (the second highest military award), five bronze stars, five silver stars, and was wounded on six occasions. - from Smoke Signal Newsletter

'Billy Walkabout, Cherokee, received the Distinguished Service Cross (the second highest military award) for his heroic Vietnam actions in which he saved several of his fellow soldiers.'