BILLY BOB WALKABOUT

by DONNA LYNN from USA

IN LOVING MEMORY
RI OCEAN (TAKEN AT RI COTTAGE)
RI OCEAN (TAKEN AT RI COTTAGE)

March 7, 2007-Billy Bob Walkabout of CT passed on 7 March 2007.

Billy was born into the Cherokee Nation on 31 March 1949 in Cherokee County Oklahoma. Billy was the son of Warren Walkabout and Bobby Jean Chaudoin Walkabout. He was married to Juanita Walkabout.

Billy was a life member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart, Disabled American Veterans, Legion of Valor and the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.

Billy honored himself, his family, the Cherokee Nation during the Vietnam War serving in Co. F 58th Infantry, 101 Airborne Div. and was awarded many medals including the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions.

'Peace Is Not Just For The Seasons, It Is Also A Native American Way Of Life.'

A Freedom Hero:
"Individuals who have stood up for justice and humanity among all people..."

Like Billy Walkabout's Blues (Journal Entry)
'I shipped out to Vietnam. I wanted to serve my nation and protect my people. I found myself in the jungles of Vietnam, ten thousand miles from home. Under monsoon rains, under a painted sky, leeches crawled on my arms. The little blood-suckers fell off into the night. The rain fell all night. Back in the world, no gal danced the southern dance for me. And the clouds hid the sun. I was burdened with separation from my family and the rez. I couldn’t wear an eaglefeather on my steel-helmet or tear that peace sign away. My war-shirt had blood all over it. I had blood on my hands. I saw people die. I saw medevac helicopters air lift them out. Those guys would remain in my memory. I didn’t have time to grieve then. Firebase on the distant mountain. The jungle was full of mountain ghosts. Sweet Lady, I never had your love to get me through, Nor did I ever receive any of your letters. You still were so far and so many years away on the great turtle island. I had to go through a year of combat, I came home to a hostile and ungrateful nation. I was treated like a war-criminal. I felt like I didn’t even belong in this land of my ancestors,and all the way through, I was a wounded warrior struggling with PTSD. I tried to get back on track, But I had too many 'nam flashbacks. Not even Ojibwe dreamcatchers could catch all the nightmares.There were years of drug use, alcoholism, homelessness, and racism, Before I found my way to you...'

In Honor Of Billy Walkabout, My Step-Father.

INFORMATION
Just like with WWII, numerous Native American heros came out of Vietnam, with the most decorated being Billy Walkabout, a Cherokee, and member of Co. F 58th Inf, 1012t Airborne, Rangers, who received the Distinguished Service Cross (the second highest military award), five bronze stars, five silver stars, and was wounded on six occasions. His heroic actions, in which he saved several of his fellow soldiers, has been honored. -from Smoke Signal Newsletter

MY HERO story about Billy Walkabout - by Autumn Rain
War Hero Billy Walkabout Passes away - from Native American Times

AUTUMN RAIN from USA