Birdie Daneker

by McKenzie from North Carolina

A hero, I believe, is someone who gives others hope. They give us a reason to move on, and strive to be our best. Usually, heroes contain some kind of heroic qualities, such as bravery, or perhaps they do something courageous. But my hero isn't one you would normally think of as courageous and brave.

A few days before Valentine's Day, my dog Hershey ran off, and was tragically hit by a car. My whole house was filled with tears. Hershey had been a member of our family for many years, and loosing him was horrific. When he died, it felt like a piece of my heart was ripped out. No one could ever replace him, and I still feel that way. Loosing him was like loosing a child; it was horrendous for every one in my household. At first, adding a new addition to the family sounded like a bad idea, but it actually helped us deal with the pain. A new puppy helped me more than you could know; it didn't replace Hershey, but it added a piece to our hearts. Hershey will always have a special place in my heart!

My hero is my five month old puppy, and although she hasn't saved my life, or protected me from any harmful people/animals, Birdie has given me the strength to move on. She’s become a part of my life, and in joining my family, she has also mended my heart and that of my family! Birdie looks like an average puppy to everyone else, but to my family she’s much more than that.

I imagine that you probably think this is silly, but this is true; this is how I feel. It's how I was able to get past the grief of loosing someone very close to me. A hero is some one who helps you move on. Time doesn’t stop, and you can't go back. My Birdie helped me do this, and for that she is my hero.