Angels

Cassie Rene Bernall

by Marissa from Geneva

She said "yes."
Cassie (google)
Cassie (google)

My hero is Cassie Bernall. She gave up her life for Jesus Christ. On one fateful day, Cassie was shot twice and died. She was a remarkable person because she died showing her Christianity. I think that it is cool she loved God so much she gave up her life. She has shown me that everyone should stand up for what they believe in.

Cassie Rene Bernall was born on November 6th, 1981. As she grew up, she was under the influence of drugs because of her friends. She did drugs and she smoked. She drank, swore, cut herself, and wrote letters to her friend Mona about killing her parents and committing suicide. Her mom was in her room, when she came across some of these letters. Then her parents put in a private Christian school. Cassie’s pastor asked her to join their Bible study group. She was reluctant, but then decided to go. She gave her life to Christ and was a better person.

Eventually, Cassie’s parents allowed her to go to public school again. There, Cassie had been talking Eric Harris and Dylan Kebold during high school chemistry. She had told them all about Jesus Christ and His amazing sacrifice. She was eating lunch with her friend, Emily, when Eric came up to them during the Columbine shootings. He supposedly yelled “peek-a-boo” before shooting Cassie and Emily. Emily was urging Cassie to be quiet so that Eric would think that they were dead. But Cassie screamed in pain because the shot hurt so much. Eric came back over, picked Cassie up by the hair and asked her if she believed in God. She said, “Yes.” Those are her famous words. Then Eric shot Cassie dead. She died when she was seventeen.

She is a very remarkable person because of the strong faith that she had. I will always look up to her because, although she was not perfect, she has the most amount of faith I have ever seen. This is why Cassie Rene Bernall is my hero.

Some of Her Favorite Bible Verses are: Phil 3:10-11, TLB:
"Now I have given up on everything else -- I found it to be the only way to know Christ and to experience the mighty power that brought Him to life again, and to find out what it really means to suffer and to die with Him. So, whatever it takes, I will be one who lives in the fresh newness of life of those who are alive from the dead."

Eph 6:11-13, NIV:
"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground and, after you have done everything, to stand."

Cassie Rene Bernall Foundation - A tribute to Cassie