Christopher Columbus

by Charles from Des Plaines

Christopher Columbus Portrait (Google Images (usdailyreview.com))

Christopher Columbus By Charles Carter Christopher Columbus was a famous explorer in the 1400's. He was born in Genoa,Italy in 1451.His father was a weaver and Christopher worked in his shop.He first took to sea when he was 14 years old because his father wanted to sell his cloth in farther regions.He meet his brother in 1479.

One of the three ships that sailed to America (Google Images (Enchanted learning))

He was planning to sail west to Asia, but the king and queen said no. On the website it said 'in 1475 he went off on his first voyage'. He landed in the present day West Indies and thought he landed in Asia. He traded with the people who were living there and headed back home .His second voyage was on September 23 1493. Traded some more and then headed back to Italy .His son was born in 1480.

Christopher Columbus finding America  (Google Images (Vista Magazine ))
Christopher Columbus finding America (Google Images (Vista Magazine ))

His third voyage was in May 30 1498 and took a more southern route he found Trinidad and Tobago. Then he found Central America. He was arrested and was sent back to Spain. His fourth and final voyage was in 1502. He came to Hispaniola in June 1502 but he was forbidden to enter the colony so he explored further. In January 1503, he reached Panama and found a little bit of gold but was forced out. On May 20 1506, he died due to illness.

Where Christopher Columbus landed (Google Images (ucalgary))

Columbus is often credited for finding America even though he did not find it first. He also did not find it on purpose. He thought he was going to find Asia not America. A district was named after him (District of Columbia). Amerigo Vespucci helped him a little bit. Columbus was very important to our society. Do you think you could be an explorer? If you think so where would you explore?

Christopher Columbus was a very important man. He did so many brilliant things in his life that benefited all us. He gave us a lot of information. I bet that everyone was very grateful for him. This report is for him.