Cally, My horse

by Teagan from The Woodlands

"A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself."
Cally!!!
Cally!!!

Cally (short for Caliante) is my mom’s horse. He is a chestnut purebred Arabian. He is 25 years old and has been in my family ever since he was 6 months old. He is the 1st horse I have ever ridden and trusted.

Cally has a big personality. When he was younger my mom would try to catch him, but he would run under his Brandy’s (his mom) belly. He can be brave one day, and then scared of his shadow the next. Sometimes when I ride him, he spooks and starts running, but he listens to me when I tell him to stop so I’m safe.

Cally has kept me safe ever since I was 9 months old. My mom held me on his back and my dad led him around the yard so I could ride him. When I go to ride him now, he lets me do his hair, brush him, clean his hooves, and saddle him. He trusts me and I trust him. I give him treats when he is good. When I have a bad day and go ride him, suddenly the day seems better.

When we come home, we are always welcomed by a whinnying horse wanting dinner even if it is 2:00 in the afternoon. On cool mornings I can look through the window and see him playing with our other horse Tardy. Cally may be old, but he still can be a little colt somehow. In the winter, Cally can look like a giant, sweet, Shetland pony!

Cally is my hero, simply because he refuses to act old, takes care of my family, makes me smile, and is not afraid to be himself. I love Cally as much as anyone can love a horse. Even though Cally is coming to the end of his days, Cally makes every one of them magical, memorable, and heroic.

horse finder - helps you find the right horse for you!
dream horse - helps you find the right horse for you!