Ben Carson

by Anthony from New Haven

To me a hero is someone who shows courage. He or she does not have to be famous. All they have to do is be there for somebody that needs help, like a cop, teacher, doctor, fire fighter or a parent. My hero is Ben Carson. Listen up and I will tell you why.

Ben Carson was born September 18, 1951 in Detroit. He was born to Sonya who dropped out of school in 3rd grade and got married at the age of 13. When Ben was 13 his parents divorced. He and his brother Curtis fell behind in school, so their mother limited their t.v time and they had to do their homework before they went outside. They were also required to read two library books and give a book report on what they read. After that his life took a turn and he was top of his class.

He graduated with honors and attended Yale University, where he earned a degree in Psychology. After Yale he went to the Medical School at the University of Michigan. There he changed his interest from psychiatry to neurosurgery. After school he became a neurosurgeon at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. When he was 32 he became the hospital's Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery.

In 1987 he made history in a operation by separating the Binder twins. They were Siamese twins that were joined at the back of the head. The operation Carson agreed to take, took a 70 member surgical team who worked for 22 hours. After the operation was complete the Binder twins were successfully separated.

Carson had many other surgical innovations that included "the first intra-uterine procedure to relieve pressure on the brain of a hydrocephalic fetal twin, and a hemispherectomy," in which an infant was suffering from uncontrollable seizures. To stop the seizures, he had to removed half of the brain. Then, in 1997 he left the operation room and wrote the books "Think Big" and "Gifted Hands." He inspires me to do better in school and get on task.

Benjamin S. Carson - Pediatric Neurosurgeon