Chuck Yeager

by Zachary from Carrollton

<a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Bell_X-1_color.jpg>Bell X-1
Bell X-1

Charles Elwood "Chuck" Yeager was born on February 13, 1923, in Lincoln County, West Virginia. He has two brothers, Roy and Hal, Jr., and two sisters, Pansy Lee and Doris Ann.

He served in the U.S. Army Air Force and the United States Air Force from September 12, 1941 - March 1, 1975.

He got a Silver Star, Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Flying Cross (United States), Legion of Merit, and Presidential Medal of Freedom.

He was the first person to break the sound barrier at the speed mach 1. The speed of sound is when you travel at 731 mph, or 1100 feet/second. Later he commanded the fighter squadrons and wings in Germany.

General Yeager was also a famous test pilot. One of the most interesting planes he tested was a Russian-made MiG-15. The MiG-15 was given to the Americans by a North-Korean flight pilot who did not want to fight in the Korean War.

Besides being a history-making test pilot, he did other interesting things. In World War II, he was one of a handful of American pilots that shot down the first production jet fighter in the world - the German ME262.

General Chuck Yeager is my hero because we might not have won the German War if not for him. Plus, he was the first person to break the sound barrier!

Chuck Yeager - Wikipedia gives Interesting fact about things, places and people.