My Trip to Catalina Island

"The ocean is our life-support system. It doesn’t matter where you live. We’re all connected to the ocean. " Jean-Michel Cousteau
Jean-Michel Cousteau snorkles with Slater on Catalina Island

Jean-Michel Cousteau, the son of the man who invented SCUBA, which stands for Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus, continues his father’s work by teaching kids and their parents about the planet’s oceans and their inhabitants.

One of his programs for children is the Ambassadors of the Environment. Created by Jean-Michel and his crew, this program takes place in nature. Students are introduced to the wonders of nature around them and the things that live there through skin diving excursions, hikes, walks and slide shows.

Jean-Michel Cousteau: I wish I had two other lives. One, I want to be an astronaut, and I work very close with Nasa. In fact, we have done programs where we link the oceans with the space program. And the other one, I would like to be a farmer.

Slater and her hero Jean-Michel
Slater and her hero Jean-Michel

Slater:I had such a good time on Catalina Island. Everyone was so nice to me and I learned so much, especially about how to walk more lightly on the Earth. We can all help save the environment, it’s not too late.

Check out Ocean Futures Society to help save the oceans today!

View the short film My Trip to Catalina Island
Read Slater's web page about her hero Jean-Michel Cousteau
See the transcript of Slater's interview with Jean-Michel Cousteau
Ocean Futures Society - The mission of Ocean Futures Society is to explore our global ocean, inspiring and educating people throughout the world to act responsibly for its protection.
- A camp and Web site that teaches kids how to live with and save the earth and its oceans.

My Trip to Catalina Island
A short film by Slater Jewell-Kemker

View Slater's film on her journey to Catalina Island to meet her Environmental Hero
Jean-Michel Cousteau.

View Film Small (14 MB) - 7 Minutes
View Film Large (19 MB) - 7 Minutes

MY HERO is pleased to announce that our reporter, Slater, was honored with an Earth Trustee Award at the United Nations Peace Bell Garden in New York City on Earth Day. While there, she shared a beautiful mural, which was created by street children from the Funkor Art Center in Islamabad, Pakistan, compliments of the Art Miles Mural Project.