Dale Dunning

by Chelsea from Delaware

"If you love me, then feed my sheep."

'Dear Pilgrim, if you want to make a difference, just bring what you got. Some water in a pot on a hot stove and I would meet you there.' These were the words from the Lord that changed Dale Dunning' life. Living in Delaware, Dale has not only helped the people from where she works but around the east coast of the USA. Traveling to different parts of Delaware, then to Pennsylvania and then even Florida, there is no stopping the spirit to help others.

Everything first started innocent and a ministry. Dale was volunteering to bring in soup for everyone to enjoy when she finally found her true calling and mission: she wanted to help the hunger in that is occurring in Delaware. Taking a pot, ingredients, a bit of water and a loving heart, Dale has made a recipe fit for royalty. Sh has created an organization called "The Jusst Sooup Ministry" and sometimes a hungry costumer would come by and notice the huge banner that hung from the front church. There, the customer would be greeted by a friendly hug and greeting by Dale.

For four years Dale Dunning has continued this organization and for four years she has made miracles to everyone who knows her that is not always about the soup. One time, a 75 year old man came by and he said that he did not know how to write his name. That afternoon, Dale taught him and then he was able to write his name. Another time was when a church found a woman lying on a grave, looking deeply upset. The people wanted to let Dale ask her what was wrong. Taking the courage, Dale finally walked over and and knelt down next to her and asked her the problem. The woman replied that her husband and three kids died in an accident and that she was all alone. Hearing this, Dale decided to comfort her and for the next nine months, she helped make the woman feel better.

However, such a happy part of her life also contains a sad one. Before the soup kitchen, Dale lost her house and had to stay in a van with her husband and children. "We remember how people mocked us...I want to be there for somebody else like I wanted them to be for Ken and I." Dale's husband Ken said," We know how how it is to be homeless, it was just rough times. But when we look back, it teaches you to listen to others. From Dale's poverty experience, Dale likes to treat everyone the same, no matter how different they are." God is teaching me something about serving and it is an honor to serve", Dale says.

Dale Dunning was seen on Oprah and has been profiled in People Magazine's: Heroes in Hard Times, along with many other newspaper articles. "These are my children. Tell them that the door is always open."

School Nite - Rev. Dale Dunning Ministers to the Hungry in Sussex County
Cape Gazzette Newspaper - Dale Dunning: Her Ministry Has Fed the Body and Soul
Oprah: Guest Speaker - Heroes in Hard Times

I am making a webpage for my everyday hero: Dale Dunning. Here you would learn what she has done for the people around Delaware and I hope that you would be inspired to know what she has done. Thank-you for reading!