Dale Dunning

by Natalie from Georgetown

“I’m not called to be a judge but called to serve.”
Dale Dunning (http://php.delawareonline.com/jeffersonawards/images/DaleDunnseated.jpg)

Dale Dunning is the founder of Jusst Sooup Ministries in Rehoboth Delaware. It all started when she wanted to make soup for her church. It all started out with one crock pot, then she got 7, then she got 14. Her Soup Kitchens are still expanding. With it all going on for 14 years and running, she has started at least 7 different locations, and is about to start 10 more. It has even expanded so far as to that she has an RV where she cooks all of her soup. Dale Dunning bases her Ministry on, "If you love me feed my sheep" - St. John 21:15-17. She feels as if God has called upon her to love people, and care for all people that need it. But also, she isn't like all Soup Kitchens you would see at a church. She feels that you don't need to make people that need food hear the Lord's prayer before they get food because as she says, "You can't feed someone the word of God if they're hungry."

Believe it or not Dale truly is a hero. Her Jusst Sooup money, comes from nowhere but her own pockets. She gets absolutely no money from the state, she believes that has too many strings attached. All of her income comes from donations and her husband's 3 jobs. Dale has no other job except the Soup Kitchen, she wakes up at 4 a.m. and goes to the location she needs to at 6 a.m. and her day there sometimes won't end until 4 p.m. and after all that hard work she goes to bed by 5 p.m. Which actually seems crazy but I would be extremely tired too. On average Dale serves between 100 and 300 people per day, sometimes on her own or with help of volunteers. But, she doesn't just serve the people soup, she will help anyone that needs it. In her mind, she believes that whether a person looks different than they say they are she isn't here to judge them, anyone is welcome.

You're probably wondering what they serve at the Soup Kitchen. Well, it's not just soup. They have sandwiches, pizza, spaghetti, ribs, hot dogs, hamburgers, and a huge variety of soups. The only thing that she will always have is soup though.

Most people find it crazy that her whole life is giving to others, but it's true. Dale Dunning is my hero.

Dale Dunning - Jusst Sooup Ministries
Heroes in Hard Times: Oprah Winfrey Show - Dale Dunning on Oprah
Jusst Souup Photo Gallery - Photo Gallery