Poets

Emily Dickinson

by Emily from New York

Emily Dickinson was a quiet, shy girl who never went out. Most people would not consider her a hero. But Emily Dickinson was not recognized for this. She is recognized for her beautiful poetry. Emily Dickinson had this talent of writing, but she was also different, and did not do what society expected of her. She never went out, she never saw anyone (except family), and she did not marry. Emily Dickinson had a very interesting life. Read on to find out about Emily Dickinson!

Emily Dickinson had a family she loved. She was born at home on December 10th, 1830. Her father’s name was Edward Dickinson and her mother’s name was Emily Norcross Dickinson. As you can see, Emily Dickinson was named after her mother. Emily also had an older brother and a younger sister. Her brother’s name was William Austin Dickinson (known as Austin), and her sister’s name was Lavinia Dickinson (known as Vinnie). They, too, were named after relatives. This is Emily Dickinson’s family, which she loved.

Emily Dickinson had a few obstacles in her life. First of all, she was shy around new people. Second, she felt uncomfortable in Church. On Sunday she usually hid in the basement, so her family could not find her! Also, when she was 34 she started to loose her eyesight. While Emily’s eyes were draining, they also hurt! This hurt was probably from straining her eyes (to write) all night. These challenges got in Emily’s way, but she still was positive about her writing.

Emily Dickinson had many different character traits. First of all, she was a very, very shy person. By the time she was 45, Emily did not see anyone. Second, though she was shy, Emily Dickinson was bright. When things were bad; like when her brother went away to teach, she was bright and happy towards others. Lastly, she was energetic and sentimental about life around her. If Emily did not “study” these things in her life, she would not have written nearly as many pomes.

Emily Dickinson made many contributions to people everywhere. If you are feeling sad or mad, her poems usually make you feel better. If you are bored, you can read her poems for entertainment. Sometimes Emily Dickinson’s poems will inspire you to write your own poems. These are some of the contributions Emily made to life.

In conclusion, Emily is a hero because of her beautiful and inspiring poetry. She also was different from other people. This is why Emily Dickinson is a hero.