Poets

Edgar Allan Poe

by Olivia from Boise

Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar was born in Boston of 1809. After he was born, his father left him and his mother. Then, a year after his birth his mother died. After his mother’s death, the Allan family took him into their home but not officially adopting Poe. The family paid for all of his education, but refused to pay Poe’s debts when he was mixed into gambling.

Through the years, Poe grew close to death as it took his family and dear friends. While he was away in the army his father, John Allan, died. Then, when he was notified about his mother, Frances Allan’s illness he went to be by her side. She died a couple years after her husband’s death. During the time, Poe was working as Assistant Editor for The Southern Literary Messenger.

After the death of his mother, he went to stay with his Aunt and her daughter Virginia Clemm. In 1835, Poe secretly married his cousin Virginia on September 22, 1835. He was twenty-six years old; she was thirteen at the time. However, on the marriage certificate she claimed to be the age of twenty–one. They both moved to Richmond with his Aunt while he still remained working for The Messenger until January of 1837. He had his second wedding with Virginia, in public.

In January of 1842, Virginia began to show signs of tuberculosis. During the time of her illness Poe’s drinking grew heavy. For a brief time he went to New York to work on the Evening Mirror, before he became editor of The Broadway Journal. Later on, Poe eventually became the owner of Broadway Journal. On January 29, 1845 his poem ‘The Raven’ was published and was instantly famous, though Poe was only paid nine dollars for his published poem. Two years later in 1847, Virginia died on January 30 of tuberculosis. Critics suggest most themes in Poe’s work about the death of the women in his life; most of which speak the death of Virginia.

In Poe’s time, he wrote sixty–two short stories and fifty–one poems and one play. Poe only had one complete novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket.

On October 3, 1849, he was found on the streets needing medical attention immediately. Poe was taken to the Washington College Hospital where he died four days later. Poe wasn’t coherent long enough to tell the story of how he came into his position. All medical records referring to Poe have all been lost, and to this day the death of Poe still remains a mystery. Poe was a great figure for those who struggled with life and its obstacles. Though Poe sunk into his depression, all of his work came from the true meaning of what it’s like to fall into a dark hole. His surroundings brought forth the darkness that can enter anyone’s life such as guilt, hatred, depression, love, and loss. His words beaded into beautiful downfalls that touched the audience with a hard force that could bring preparation for us as our lives continue. Thanks to him, we the readers can understand the horror our soul can encounter through death, this being our tragic hero.