Poets

Frances Ellen Watkins Harper

by Kaitlyn from Wallingford

Frances Ellen Watkins Harper was born on September 24, 1825 and died on February 22, 1911. She was born in Baltimore, Maryland. She was an African American writer, lecturer, and political activist, who promoted abolition, civil rights and also women rights. She held office in many positive organizations. She went to school at her uncle's Academy for Negro Youth. She helped many different causes related to women and civil rights. After she finished her schooling she went to help escape slaves along the Underground Railroad.

She then started to work with Susan B. Anthony and Cady Stanton to speak out about women rights and how they should be allowed to vote. She supported the fourteenth and the fifteenth amendment which stated the black men but not women could not vote. She realized that this issue would need to go public and she would be the voice and speak out about the issues. Unlike some people Harper wasn't afraid to speak out and explain what had to be explained. "The true aim of female education should be, not a development of one or two, but all the faculties of the human soul, because no perfect womanhood is developed by imperfect culture.”

Harper organized many groups and organizations to discuss the issues on women right and civil rights. Although she was a busy writer and spent much of her time working with this foundation, she also worked with a number of churches to feed the poor, prevent juvenile delinquency, as well as teaching a Sunday school class. It may not seem like it but all the little things that this woman did affected many different people. "Apparent failure may hold in its rough shell the germs of a success that will blossom in time, and bear fruit throughout eternity."

I think she was born lucky and free and she decided to give back. She helped the poor, worked in churches and helped free slaves. She showed many people that some people aren't as lucky and the little things we do can make a difference. Other people will see what this woman had done and want to help others just like she did and help others. "We want more soul, a higher cultivation of all spiritual faculties. We need more unselfishness, earnestness, and integrity. We need men and women whose hearts are the homes of high and lofty enthusiasm and a noble devotion to the cause of emancipation, who are ready and willing to lay time, talent, and money on the altar of universal freedom."

If Harper didn't do what she did men and women may not be equal like they are now. Also, there may not be as many rights for women. She showed people that just because she was African American she had an opinion and she showed it. Frances Ellen Watkins Harper was an amazing woman who helped many people throughout tough times.