Anne Frank vs. Rosa Parks

by Alexa from San Mateo

"I want to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free... so other people could be free." Rosa Parks

Have you ever had to cope with a humongous change in your life? Anne Frank and Rosa Parks had to do this very thing. Anne Frank was a Jew in the Holocaust and was always wondering if, and when she was going to be murdered by the Nazis. Rosa Parks was forced into jail because she would not give up her bus seat to a white man. Both of them were treated very unfairly, and there was nothing they could do about it. Anne would write her feelings in her diary, while Rosa would pour out her sadness to her mother, husband, and grandma. They both overcame these life-altering events by believing the world is a good place, no matter all of the cruel people on it.

( http://www.dreamerstheatregroup.org/dafcast.htm, no author shown, Dreamers Group)

First of all, Anne Frank overcame her time in hiding by writing in her diary. "'Then they will find Anne's diary,'added Daddy. This, and when the police rattled the cupboard were my worst moments. 'Not my Diary, if my diary goes, I go with it!'" (pg.203) Anne also coped with these hard times by talking to Peter. Peter is the seventeen year old son of the Van Daans, who were another Jewish family hiding with the Franks. Anne and Peter have formed a very close relationship during their time in the "Secret Annexe." At the end of their time there, they fall in love. Eventually Anne Frank and her family are caught by the Gestapo (secret police) but she lasted two whole years by writing and talking. As you can see, Anne obviously cares very much about her diary because she depends on it to cope with the war.

(http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/famamer/images/RParks-bus.jpg  Page created June 27, 2003. Anne Pemberton. Updated Sat, August 15, 2009 . AP. )
(http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/famamer/images/RParks-bus.jpg Page created June 27, 2003. Anne Pemberton. Updated Sat, August 15, 2009 . AP. )

Second, Rosa Parks dealt with being in jail and being treated so harshly by talking to her mother, grandmother, and husband. Rosa spent one night in jail on December 1, 1955 and she also had to pay a fee of 14 dollars for not giving up her seat. This, was very unfair. Why should the man get the bus seat just because of her skin color? She is obviously better than he was. Rosa Parks was a very stubborn, but kind person. "I want to be remembered as a person who wanted to be free... so other people could be free." Rosa obviously cares about other people. She thinks the majority of people are kind, because she wants their freedom, along with her own.

Both Anne Frank and Rosa Parks have gone through hard times. Anne having gone through the Holocaust, and Rosa going through racism. They were both teased for being different; Anne for being Jewish, and Rosa for being African American. They as well talk to their loved ones for support. (Peter, plus Rosa's mother, grandmother and husband) Both of them wished for a better world. Rosa and Anne were judged by stupid little things. Anne, her religion, and Rosa, her skin color. It doesn't make any sense! Both of them stayed strong during their hard times. Anne was young, but on the other hand Rosa was pretty old. Rosa had a long life, and Anne had a very short and tragic one. They thought that people should be treated the same no matter what.

In conclusion, Anne and Rosa thought the world was a good place, no matter how many cruel people live on it. Anne used to look out her grimy little window and think the world was such a good place. Rosa loved a lot of people, but thought many were cruel and heartless. I think both Anne and Rosa were very brave quite amazing. Overcoming the terrible Holocaust, and being thrown in jail for pretty much nothing! These two young woman have proven how strong and beautiful the world actually is.