Poets

George Cosbuc

by Alexandru Raduta from Galati, Romania

George Cosbuc
George Cosbuc

George Cosbuc is known as a famous Romanian poet. He also taught in schools, translated stories and poems from other languages, and worked as a journalist. He was born on September 20, 1866 and died on May 9, 1918. Although he lived a hundred years ago, his poems are very real and a delight for the readers.

He wrote a lot of poems. The best of his poems, in my opinion are: “Iarna pe ulita”, “Vestitorii primaverii," and “Noapte de vara”. It's a pity his poems are not known outside Romania because I think children everywhere would like to read his lovely poems. I'm thinking about translating some easy poems to start with, and then, who knows...

This is his family's house (wikipedia.org)

George Cosbuc is my hero because he wrote a lot of poems and I like them all. His poems are interesting and beautiful for all the children in the world. He understood children's thinking and behaviour very well. I think he is the best Romanian poet. I would like to have his inspiration and his gift.